DIY Montana Wolf Hunt

I am wanting to do a DIY Montana Wolf hunt next year, and was wondering if anyone had any good regions of the state to try, or any good tips. This will be my first wolf hunt so any help is appreciated

I sincerely hope you get some help, as I would love to take a wolf myself. But they use ranges that can be miles in area, and if you don't have some clue exactly where they're frequenting you can look for weeks without seeing one.

Good luck to you! I hope you can get this done.

What time of year ?
MANY of the roads close in the winter and become snowmobile trails.
When that happens they start to crawl with people.
NOW I would try north of Yaak west of Koocanusa lake.

The Yaak area can be hard to hunt, obviously it is a huge somewhat road less area. Especially difficult in the winter.
And as an FYI, I shot the last Yaak wolf just yesterday!
rolleyes.gif

Will be posting my report tonight with all of the details!

Lots of elk guides will set you up on the cheap. Would look at Idaho as well. Pretty cheap tags and lots of public hunting.

Originally Posted By: BailLots of elk guides will set you up on the cheap. Would look at Idaho as well. Pretty cheap tags and lots of public hunting.

I know hunting is hunting and there is no guarantee of anything, but is there a rule of thumb about the success rate for such a hunt as you are referring to? I know wolves are not easy to come by so I am assuming the success rate is rather low. Just curious about it all.

Beautiful wolf jcs.

The guides I've talked to told me that they are in the field every day and see sign, tracks and etc, and have a good idea where the wolves are and they communicate to the hunter where to hunt. I am talking about a self guided hunt and the elk guides charging you for room and board...not taking you out wolf hunting. From what I've read and heard, the success rate for killing a wolf is probably less than 10%. But I cannot wait for my turn to see if I'm one of the lucky 10%. I have a lot of literature and a few guides names and numbers if you would like to know they're names and locations. Just shoot me a pm.

Come shoot some of our lovely wolves south of Big Sky please. Good access to moderate to rough country that is holding lots of wolves. You can hunt right up to the park border.

Bail, thanks for the offer. I would love to do something like that, but time, age and money are factors. I asked the question about the chance of a kill to satisfy my own curiosity. I appreciate your willingness to help.

If I were to ever go on a wolf hunt, it most likely would be over bait at some place where I might have a reasonable chance while letting someone experienced do the logistics for me. I wouldn't mind calling for them too under the conditions that hard hiking would not be involved.

Hope you have a good hunting season.

Back