Hornady 35gr .223 4000 fps

B.C.T.

Has anyone tried these on coyote i'm thinking about trying some and if they are accurate then seeing how fur frendly they are just in case a fox or bobcat shows up this winter I have been useing the win white box 45 gr hp in .223 and 22-250 with good results on coyote for about 10 years now very fur frendly unless its a gut shot

Last edited:
Nooooooo. Those are for incinerating itty bitty animals.
Just my opinion. I have loaded them but have not done well on fur.
I have had very good success with 34 gr hp at MUCH slower speeds though.

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatNooooooo. Those are for incinerating itty bitty animals.
Just my opinion. I have loaded them but have not done well on fur. What do you mean they have not done well on fur? More info?

A 35gr 223 @ 4000fps is not much different than a 17 Rem or 204, both of which kill with authority with decent bullets.

I ran one box through a cz while waiting on my new barrel. Damage was mixed... From really bad to none at all. Not different from the 32 gr 204.

In my opinion, not worth it. They shot well though.

By really bad, I mean some blew up on fur and left softball sized entrance wounds.

Last edited:
I assumed he was asking about 35 gr v-max. These are very explosive (as you know)and can very often lend themselves to HUGE splashes or exits. I prefer a bullet that allows a little more forgiveness when I am saving fur. WILL it work? sure. Do I feel it is a GOOD bullet for fur on fox sized critters? Nope.

I 223Rem 40gr Vmax with great success, although plenty of folks here trash talk it. I have not seen any problems others speak of (splash wounds, lack of penetration). I am curious how our experiences with the same exact bullet can be so completely opposite. The 40 Vmax Kills like friggin' lightning! If you shoot a 17Rem you know what I mean.

So when I hear the same comments of poor performance made about the similarly light 223 35gr I am 100% skeptical. Especially when the folks making the comments have not actually DONE IT.

Not the same bullet. One is 35 gr and the other is 40gr. If they were the same bullet they would be the same bullet. "Similar" is not the "same". It is very easy for two "similar" bullets to perform extremely different. That is why they make so many different, very similar bullets.

I have also stated that MY experience was poor with them and didn't reference any other report a or any other persons experience. I gave an opinion based on what I have experienced.

I can't say anything about the 35 gr bullets...but... the 40 gr vmax bullets out of my 223 or 204 kill dogs quick and clean so well that I can hardly believe it. One hole in... no exit... dog on the ground, with it's insides sounding like jelly. Side angles... frontal angles... any angle... they work great...BUT... I've had a few messes on shoulder bone... and necks... other than those places....they work wonderful.

Those two rifles where shooting factory Fiocci loads that where shooting around 3700 fps.

Quote: The 40 Vmax Kills like friggin' lightning! If you shoot a 17Rem you know what I mean. I'm curious what the .17 Rem. has to do with this? It doesn't shoot a 40 grain bullet, and I don't know anyone that uses or recommends using a v-max bullet on coyotes out of a .17 Rem.

I decided to not try the 35 but have used the 40 with success.
Being in wide open country where wind and long shots are normal, I have stayed with the 50 because it is the lightest with a boat tail and higher bc.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobhttp://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-gr-NTX/

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-250-Rem-35-gr-NTX/

Almost 3 years ago I saw 7 coyotes shot with Hornady 35 gr NTX Superformance 223 Rem and 22-250 Win factory ammo. I was really surprised at how well these little Lead Free bullets worked on those seven coyotes.

Yup. That is why I clarified my response. My experience was only with the 35 gr vmax. I have had GREAT success with a 34 gr hollow point at lower speeds. I also rarely shoot past 100 yds so these little bullets are perfect for my application.

Tried the 223 Hornady 35gr NXT over IMR 8208 XBR and didn't have much luck. 40 NBT LF wasn't much better.

Thought maybe my scope broke based on the poor groups. Nope, my 40 Vmax load shot a 5-shot ragged hole (not shown).

Back