Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42

nrvet06

I just picked up a Savage .17 HMR the other day. Does anyone have input on this scope? I am new to the .17 world. Is this an acceptable scope? Should I buy the Crossfire II and save my money or should I just buy the leupold VX II at amazon. My local gun store sells vortex and that is why I am considering vortex in the first place. Any info is appreciated.

I just picked up a vortex diamond back HP in 4-16x42 on sale from cabelas for around $250...I haven't shot it yet but I was comparing it to my red field revolution 4-12x40 and to me and my eyes the diamondback was brighter and clearer. I like the turrets better on the vortex and it has side parallax. I love my red field but I always thought the turrets were mushy although it has never let me down. The only knock on the vortex thus far is the reticle is a little too thick. I really don't think you would go wrong with the vortex.

I have a vortex diamondback hp in the 4-16 model on a Rem 700 .270. The glass is good and I really like the side parallax adjustment compared to the crossfire II I have which is an AO. It tracks spot on and the turrents are nice. When I first mounted it to my rifle, it took me a whole two shots to hit the bullseye. 1 shot to see where it was at, made adjustments, and 2nd shot was to the bullseye. The next three followed suit and its held zero after using it during two whitetail seasons. I like mine and say get one. It comes with a sunshade too and the warranty is great if you need it. I have 2 vortex scopes and haven't had an issue

Last edited:
I got very serious about the diamondback hp scopes, until I checked them out in person. I found the glass to be extremely poor. Low light performance was poor, resolution low, and even some fish eye effect at lower magnifications. The build quality is also noticeably lacking. I found them plasticky feeling, and unattractive.
Please keep in mind the current Leupold VX-2 is light years beyond the vx-ii, so do not hold any opinions about the older model against the vx-2. I ended up buying a VX-2 in 6-18x40 with the long range garment reticle for $550 out the door. It is obviously more expensive, but its more than twice the scope. The glass is light years ahead of the vortex, and the overall feel and fit/finish is incomparably better. Comparing the two was like driving a geo metro to a BMW dealership for a test drive.

You will hear rants about Vortexs warranty, and how they replace all of the defective scopes without hassle. This tells me a: they are not serviceable, rather disposable. And B: that they cost very little to import from the lowest bidder overseas.

I have the 3-12 Diamondback HP on my remington 700 243. This is my 5th vortex and my lowest end vortex also. I really like it. For the price it can't be beat. As mentioned above it tracks spot on the and turrets are nice and stiff. I have it for calling and I haven't had any trouble with low-light so far. I think for a 17 it would be great. As far as warranty vortex is awesome. My leupolds were always taken care of when problems occurred but my B!t&h with leupold is the 5 or 6 week turn around it took every single time. While iv never had a problem with my vortex all the stories I hear vortex has the problem resolved right away.

Last edited:
I have a Diamondback HD. Good scope for the money. But I already have black specks inside the tube from lugging it around the mountains. Save your money and Buy in the 500$ range. Better quality scopes in that group.

Originally Posted By: Andrew06I got very serious about the diamondback hp scopes, until I checked them out in person. I found the glass to be extremely poor. Low light performance was poor, resolution low, and even some fish eye effect at lower magnifications. The build quality is also noticeably lacking. I found them plasticky feeling, and unattractive.
Please keep in mind the current Leupold VX-2 is light years beyond the vx-ii, so do not hold any opinions about the older model against the vx-2. I ended up buying a VX-2 in 6-18x40 with the long range garment reticle for $550 out the door. It is obviously more expensive, but its more than twice the scope. The glass is light years ahead of the vortex, and the overall feel and fit/finish is incomparably better. Comparing the two was like driving a geo metro to a BMW dealership for a test drive.

You will hear rants about Vortexs warranty, and how they replace all of the defective scopes without hassle. This tells me a: they are not serviceable, rather disposable. And B: that they cost very little to import from the lowest bidder overseas.

My thoughts as well. Mediocre glass at best, and the adjustments aren't much better. IMO, the Vortex rifle scopes worth owning start at the Viper PST and higher. This coming from a guy that killed 3 Viper PA scopes, one of which was on a 223.

Back