Advice on elk hunt?

BrandonU.

I know this is extremely early.... About a year early but next year I will be heading out to Colorado to go on a rifle hunt for elk. Where I will be hunting our camp is right around 10,000 ft. I currently live at sea level so I am asking this a year in advance so I can prepare myself a year out because even when I lived in Colorado hiking up to elk camp was a killer. Now I have never went from living at sea level to hunting that high in alitude. Is there any advice you can help a Floridian out? Workout regimen besides what I do for the Army and just run standard 2-4 miles. I already know going from sea level to 10,000 ft will kick my butt. So all advice will be appreciated!

My advice is to just go early, I took me about 3 days to get use to the altitude. I would feel horrible for about half the day, even fall asleep while hunting. Mainly headache. I even took some meds for this before and during to trip, they didn't work. But after about 3 days i was good to go. And just workout and run, and you should be good. I was climbing from about 7000 to 8500 feet everyday. not quite 10,000 but pretty close.

Jason

The key is going to be cardio, cardio, cardio..

Don't hike or jog with a pack, that is just stupid. and take it from me, you will create long term lower back issues with crushing disks..

I found that the more you run. (I mean getting to 5miles, and more) where you can run for about 30 minutes without getting tired. If you can run for 30 minutes, and feel like you can keep going, you are there.

Also, i would suggest that you start by also using stairs.. Stair climbers are great, and if you can get that thing going at 75% speed, and stay on it for an hour, there isn't a guide out there that will be mad at you for not doing your homework. I would also suggest that you work on wearing the boots and sock combos that you would use. Silk anlets socks under your normal socks will make the difference.
I don't go anywhere without Mole skin, and spray bandage. If you get a blister, dry it well, spray it, then put the mole skin on, and repeat at night so all night it bonds to your skin.

Good boots are the difference.

Once you get there, getting there a day early will also help, if you did your cardio homework, your first night will suck for sleeping, but after that you should be fine. Take Motrin, when you get there, and then take some in the am and PM before bed, starting this the day before leaving for there will help with soreness and the headache from the altitude. Drink water. lots.. if you are not watering the tree's once an hour your not drinking enough. I usually stop at dinner or you will be up all night going. But, as soon as i get up, back to drinking water, lots of it.

Best insurance you can get up there, is a life straw.. Those emergency small straws that you can drink right out of a creek.. they are like $20 and that and a lighter and whisle might be a life saver for you. Small and light.

Good luck, and good for you for taking the whole thing seriously. If your gonna spend the money, might as well make the most of it and not let your phsical condition limit your hunt.

Also practice shooting with high heart rate. (push-ups and then shoot kind of thing)

I also live in flat country @ sea level and hunted the west slope near Gunnison in 2000 and again in 2001 at age 64. Having only 70% lung capacity at the time, I knew the 10,000'+ altitude would take a toll, so started several months out to get in shape.

I was using a stair stepper to condition leg muscles when someone mentioned that I should remember that you are climbing and descending and that descending stresses separate muscles. That tip was a life saver. Before I left for CO, I was running 40 flights of stairs (in a 4 story building).

Also spent three days at NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM en route to Gunnison(about 7000' IIRC) climbing hills and hiking to help acclimation. Had no problems at that altitude.

My muscles gave me no problems in CO, but can't say the same for my lungs. Spent 7 days hunting and never did acclimate to the high altitude. Still think those guys from CO have breathed up all the oxygen west of the Rockies!

Have fun and good hunting!

Regards,
hm

I jokingly tell my friends that are coming from back east the best way to get ready for an elk hunt is to run stairs with a garbage bag tied over your head. I have hunted the country around Gunnison and thou the altitude is higher than where I live, to me it is much easier walking than where I hunt on the Gila in NM. much rougher terrain. Cardio is king on an elk hunt and doing as much up and down training as you can will be of great benefit. Up works your lungs but the down is what will trash your knees and ankles. If you are overweight try to loose what you can before a hunt. Elk can be hunted just like whitetails sitting water or trails and that can be very successful, but if you want to experience the thrill of calling and chasing them the better shape you are in the better. If at all possible try to spend a few days prior to the hunt acclimating to the altitude. Altitude sickness is no joke and can ruin a hunt. I have seen it but only in hunters who showed up unprepared for the physical demands on a elk hunt. I think everyone should experience an elk hunt. I could give up all my other hunting for chasing elk in the fall. Just wish I could draw a tag in my back yard. Hope you have the hunt of a lifetime.

drscott

Last year, i was done and in town, elk at the processor, and eating lunch at a dinner on opening day, by lunch time.
Despite that, i am still training hard, and pushing. I have lost 15lbs since starting training and feel I could easily pass a physical fitness test today.. My hunt starts in 3 weeks with an Any Elk tag burning a hole in my pocket.
I hope, and fingers crossed i finish fast.. But, I am prepared to hike, hunt, and push to the last day and last light to get it done. Preperation isn't wasted, its just untapped. But, it's better to have it in the tank and not need it.

That, and she who must be obeyed, thinks i am looking good. (double bonus)

The advice on the walking up and DOWN stairs is priceless.

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatShoot an elk on the first day...
Only if you buy me a beer...
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Quote: I jokingly tell my friends that are coming from back east the best way to get ready for an elk hunt is to run stairs with a garbage bag tied over your head. I have hunted the country around Gunnison and thou the altitude is higher than where I live, to me it is much easier walking than where I hunt on the Gila in NM.

Darn! Wish I had thought about the garbage bag; that would have probably worked.
lol.gif

Actually we hunted between Taylor Lake and the divide. I tried three times but had to give it up making it all the way to the CD. That is really God's country, though.

Regards,
hm

In all seriousness, I get extremely affected by altitude. Usually go up two days before opening day when I have a tag. I just got back from two weeks up on the rim calling for some friends who had archery tags. I was not in shape. I am NOW though....lol

I run stairs to prepare for elk.

Rent an "altitude tent" and use it for a week or 10 days prior to leaving and you'll be in prime condition...provided you're already in physical condition.

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatIn all seriousness, I get extremely affected by altitude. Usually go up two days before opening day when I have a tag. I just got back from two weeks up on the rim calling for some friends who had archery tags. I was not in shape. I am NOW though....lol

I run stairs to prepare for elk.

getting in shape the hard way. lol

I have a tag in 2 weeks for 6B south area, Any Elk.. I have been to the range, and been scouting last weekend. My wife has almost had to duct tape my hands to the treadmill to keep me on it.. But, I am getting where i want to be.
Hopefully i can get it on film this year, or atleast film that won't cause a seizure from it shaking so bad.

Take some l-arganine when you get up in the morning, makes your blood/lungs more efficient to carry more oxygen. It will help at at altitude.

Back