help choosing right or left handed compound bow

josebd

im sure this has been discussed before,i have never handled a compound bow.
i can only close my right eye, and im left eye dominate
i shoot all right bolt rifles left handed
so im assuming i need a left handed bow?
just want to be sure before ordering

I would go to a shop that has both left handed and right handed bows and shoot both before you order one. Most good shops will allow you to shoot both. Which ever you shoot better then order one up and start shooting. I would hate to tell you Yep you need a left handed bow. You go out and get one and can't hit the barn from 10ft away. Lefties are harder to sell than righties. So you need to shoot both if you are unsure. Don't let someone recommend you something based on their experience because yours could be different than theirs.

My advice would be go with the dominant eye. You can train yourself to shoot proficiently from the week side, but you can not change eye dominance. Only other option is to block or patch the dominant eye allowing the weak eye to take over the aim

If you are left eye dominant then you need to shot left hand. When I used to work in a archery pro shop this was
standard. We would always check the person to see which eye is dominant. After that was determined then we would go and start showing them bow.

If you are left eye dominant you should shoot a left hand bow, I have a friend that was having a lot of problems so I told him we should go shoot a few. He was shooting a right hand bow. After watching him shoot his first arrow I told him he needed a left hand bow. He listened to my advice and bought one. By the end of the summer we were neck to neck at 3D shoots. He can now bust nocks pretty consistently out to about 40 yards. He has busted up to 4 nocks on me at a 28 target 3D and we rotate who shoots first!
He was shooting better with a left hand bow in a week than he ever shot with a Right hand bow. Do yourself a favor and start out with the correct equipment.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.+1 on going to a good shop.You're going to need that to set the bow up match arrows etc either way.

Best advice so far!!

Back