how complicated to build an AR

champ198

I have always been fascinated by the AR platform.
have thought over and over about building one from scratch the way I want but just have never pulled the trigger so to speak.
how complicated is it really to build. I know there are some specific tools you have to have and so on. but other than that how hard is if for a normal average guy to build.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined and know my way around firearms.

would like to have one in a small caliber for predator hunting is what I am really wanting
what can you guys give me for opinions and suggestions

its' very overwhelming.. I agree.

But there are a number of threads and a host of sponsors here that are great people that are always welcoming to help.

The only thing that i have found is that no one likes and ask hole.. That is someone that asks, and askes and asks questions and then runs off and buys it from someone else.

There is absolutely no shortage of information about building an AR or MSR (modern sporting rifle) and as someone that has used ARs for a long time, I am building my own.

My suggestion would be for you to stop into a few stores, hold them, look at them, and create a list of things that you want. You may find a rifle that is close and only needs a few parts changed to make it what you want. Work it out and see if it saves you money.
I have a very specific list, so i am doing a stripped build from scratch. Once i came up with that list of things i wanted, can now start shopping. The list of items that i need is easy to research on the internet. Creating a blue print, and using that plan, to then shop will get you the pieces and parts you need. The big challenge that a blue print makes easier for you is that it gives you information that you will need to buy parts that will work together.

Start with the lower, and work up.

Good luck and enjoy it, if you are getting fustrated, take a break, you have waited this long what's a little longer?

Here's a snippet of an email that I send to anybody that asks me about building AR's regarding the tools you'll need:

AR Specific:
Barrel nut wrench (may need proprietary wrench to match your handguard choice)
Castle Nut Spanner Wrench (only if you build a Carbine)
Action Vise Blocks (I built a bunch without them, but they're worth the $50)
AR receiver Lapping tool (not necessary, but it does improve accuracy)

General Tools:
Torque Wrench
Pin and Roll-pin punches (roll pin starter punches too)
Screwdriver set
Bench vise or clamp table to hold action blocks
Lapping compound

If you're mechanically inclined, you can build one. I can put one together comfortably in under 2hrs, if I clipped it in a hurry, I could do it under an hour, and I'm not much more than just an average guy that's kinda mechanically inclined - and reasonably familiar with the AR.

AR's aren't complicated. Put this here, pin it. Put this there, pin it. Put this there, screw it tight... Done. They were designed to be serviced and repaired by soldiers, which at the time had an enlistment intelligence requirement of an IQ of 80. Even for tuning and fitting, it's really not that difficult to see what moves where, what needs to be polished.

It's not a difficult task really but be careful as it becomes addicting . I've built 4, sold 1, built 3 others for friends, and I plan on doing 3 more at some point for myself.

It's simple. I bring mine in to the local gun shop and they put the barrels on the uppers for ten or fifteen dollars. If you buy from Aero Precision the upper and lower receivers come assembled.

Build one and it is like a potato chip you can't have just one. I use Aero Precision but I buy mine striped so I can put the part's in them that I want.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerIt's simple. I bring mine in to the local gun shop and they put the barrels on the uppers for ten or fifteen dollars.

Dang... I'd take that gig, $10 or $15 for 10min worth of work...

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: Rock KnockerIt's simple. I bring mine in to the local gun shop and they put the barrels on the uppers for ten or fifteen dollars.

Dang... I'd take that gig, $10 or $15 for 10min worth of work...

Yeah me too. I'm a certified armorer so maybe I should open up shop. That's too easy.

Building them is not really complicated. There are a few areas that can be touchy and a few areas that need a bit more attention. But someone who is mechanically inclined will not have difficulty.

The difficulty comes in blending together the right combination of parts. Some parts work well together while others, regardless of brand name, just will not work together correctly. It can be frustrating and expensive trying to figure out the recipe. Just because someone else might have gotten it to work at sometime is no guarantee of success.

It's not Rocket Surgery/Brain Science (lol) but you definitely need few tools, especially a vise, Tapco armorer's tool, a GOOD set of punches, magazine and receiver blocks for the vise and either a slot screwdriver or a 3/16" Allen key.

I've never seen an AR barrel sold by a reputable company without the barrel extension already installed from the manufacturer, but make sure that's the case when you buy one so you won't have to head space and pin the extension.

The essential parts where you want to spend money on quality are the receivers, barrel and trigger. Standard triggers need massaging to get them down to a reasonable pull weight. Drop in triggers can be picked up for about $100 and down around 3.5#s. There are a lot of videos but for me, printed instructions with pictures work better. Ask as many questions as you want, you will get a lot of responses and then you'll be able to make a consensus and make the decision that's right for you.

Good luck!

Plenty of you tube videos on how to build one, i watched and now have built two. It really is not hard, i say go for it you can do it.

The only difficult part for me was torqueing the barrel nut to line up for the gas tube.
After a few successes, it became easier.
That part you may want to take to a gunsmith, if in doubt.
Otherwise, with a little mechanical ability, it is actually fun..

Aero Precision makes an upper called a M4E1 and it has a internal barrel nut and you can torque the nut to whatever you want it to be doesn't need to timeout for the gas tube and they are great.

Originally Posted By: FJ40 CruzrPlenty of you tube videos on how to build one, i watched and now have built two. It really is not hard, i say go for it you can do it. . I agree, YouTube is your best friend. Go to AR15.com for tons of help for you.

I've built a few and can do it pretty quick and I really don't like ar's. here is the first thing you should buy. http://zedikerpublishing.com/books/BB/BB_main.html

It's written by multi time nra high power champ glen zediker. It has list of everything you need basic tools to specialty and has step by step builds from carbines to varmint to comp guns. He has a ton of books make sure you get the red one. i like YouTube but this is as good as it gets for doing it right. You will build a accurate rifle.

Last edited:
Iv'e built around 6-8 of them. If someone can screw up something, it's me. But putting together an ar is easy, even for me.

Back