what's your coyote stand like?

Newfboy

What is your stands like?..down east here we don't have nice field's to hunt so this ..Wet...Soggy Barren Bog..or other similar bog's are the only place I can hunt in my area....I have killed one dog here so far but have yet to call anymore in since then... I have tried all manner of call's with not much luck...hopefully i get another one soon..wind here is cross wind most times any advice is appreciated.

Pretty much like yours except my stands usually have a one or two less trees in view...in fact sometimes just seeing a tree is a challenge

Any advice on how to hunt this terrain would be appreciated ..it is usually windy here 10-40 KPH and it usually blows east or south-east which it was the day I took the picture with the barrel of the gun pointing ..I tried a lot of those VarmintAl MP3 sounds ..The Excruciator and the 20 minute sequence..after that I tried Snowshoe hare in distress and pretty much every rabbit sound the foxpro had...after that I tried coyote vocals ...I gave up after a hour and a half ..returned another day this time 200 yards away in the western part of the bog where I had previously shot my moose ..the dogs had eaten the gut pile and then left a huge pile of fresh scat to let me know they were there...anyways I set up the wind was really light but strangely was blowing west ..I sat in the tree line directly across from the call and decoy which was about 40 yards away. I positioned myself
Looking west and started calling with The Excruciator..after 20 minutes the wind dropped out completely..I called for almost two hours but saw no sign of
Any dogs..I wondering if I'm doing something wrong two much calling
Or not enough ..eastern coyotes sure are hard to hunt. Perhaps someone can see what I might be doing wrong ..any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
You'll do better when it freezes and you get a little snow on the ground. I only call the same place once or twice a year.

Last winter same spot around February month..was a few tracks in the snow around the area but no luck getting anything to the call..

Last edited:
Also had one bit of success last September in a rock quarry near town...first coyote I ever shot..first one I had ever seen also lol!

I am from central MN and have found SOUTH DAKOTA dogs and our local dogs the easiest to call. Ours are mostly nocturnal, we are full moon and snow hunters in central MN. i too struggle to call coyotes up north even when they respond. Do you think they may be timid due to wolves and the like? Or are there just less dogs up there? Bemidji mn area is where i hunt. Get mostly just bobcats on camera when cams are on dead deer or varmint paths.....

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinI am from central MN and have found SOUTH DAKOTA dogs and our local dogs the easiest to call. Ours are mostly nocturnal, we are full moon and snow hunters in central MN. i too struggle to call coyotes up north even when they respond. Do you think they may be timid due to wolves and the like? Or are there just less dogs up there? Bemidji mn area is where i hunt. Get mostly just bobcats on camera when cams are on dead deer or varmint paths.....

I'm also having trouble finding dogs ..over here on the island our coyotes are also nocturnal but do come in in early morning and evening..now we don't have a lot of coyotes as other provinces or states but it's picking up ..I've found sign in every 3-5 kilometres that suggests there's atleast a pack of four in that distance and beyond ..3-5 kilometres is a long distance when trying to find a good stand..with that said the hunters all over the island are saying the coyotes have left the area and I can say it seems that way in my region of it...the only thing I can figure is the coyotes are nomads...hanging up in one particular area for a couple nights then. Moving on to another area and probly returning some weeks later..I've hunted over the last 5 years and have only heard coyote howl once...and Ive shot two ...that seems strange considering western coyote are howling frequently ..
I would like to see some detailed pictures and explanations on what happened and how on other peoples stands ..just to get an idea of what I'm doing wrong!

Last edited:
Basically ..this is a crude diagram of the bog I hunt with markings to represent where I had set up.

The first place I had successfully called and taken a coyote was at tree island #2 ..marked by the red X ..here is a picture from the decoy looking at the stand.

The coyote came from downwind on the right side of the photo..it was about 20 yards away from my stand and came up
From behind me..saw the decoy and ran directly toward it..a quick bark from me stopped him long enough to put a 123g hornady through him...I still have no idea how he didn't scent me...he seemed to come in within 15-20 minutes to the sound of 2 minutes of cottontail in distress and then 5 minutes of silence ..I repeated it and then tried jackrabbit in distress with the same play time as I did with the previous cottontail call.

Another view of tree island #2 ..standing at decoy and call looking at the north side which was located directly
Across from the trail. The island has been cut down by someone collecting firewood. I was sitting by the gray rock on the edge of remaining trees..

I tried this island a number of times with no success..there was tons of scat all around but still nothing came in to the call.

Eventually I moved to the trail on the second part of the bog located near tree island # 1 ..there was a small amount of tracks and a few pieces of scat there so I tried my first stand directly off the island ..but there was nothing willing to come out.

Here is a long range view of that island it is located far left in the photo.bits kind of hard to see from the picture.

After this I tried further away from the tree islands and setup near the atv trail I tried this spot a number of times with no results. Something I am doing wrong may be the reason might be keeping the dogs
Away or there are none in the area While I am setup ..they could be possibly near the atv trails at both entrances and when I pass through hear or scent me ..as most of the scat is located near island #2 ..there is not as much as last year but still some sign around ..if anyone has some advice on different tactics to try feel free to post I look forward to hearing it and trying the advice.

Another stand this morning...had a high crosswind ..about 38kph didn't realy matter..no sign of tracks or scat ..I will probably give up hunting this rock pit ..atleast till some sort of sign appears again..

Back