Tikka T3 22-250 Load Suggestions

wilee.wade

I am fairly new to reloading and trying to work up a load for my Tikka 22-250 1:14 twist). Wondering what you guys have had success with? I have tried Barnes TSX 53 grain bullets w/ TAC powder, it really did not like that combo (as Barnes clearly stated on the box). Loaded up some V-Max 53 grain bullets on top of H380 (37.0 to 37.4 grains) and had an ok first round (maybe .75" @ 100 yds). Reloaded some more and shot today, they are just about an inch @ 100. I know this rifle can shoot better than this... Maybe I just need to keep bumping up the powder? Being new to this I am staying on the conservative side...

Thank you in advance for any recipes and suggestions.

Wade

Try a max. Book load of varget with 40 grn vmax. Been a real good coyote load for me. No fur damage 200 yds and less. 20 coyotes credited to this combo in my exact gun.

Another suggestion for Varget but with a 50 gr. Nosler BT. My Tikka 22-250 shoots tiny groups with that combo. Also shoots the Berger 52 gr. Match Varmint just as well.

My buddy's best group to date is with 36.3 gr. of Varget behind a 55 gr. vmax. Getting around 3/4 inch groups. He is going to try some H4895 and H380 and see how they shoot.

Dave

Thank you guys for the suggestions, I will give them a try. I am leaning towards the heavier bullets because I am primarily hunting coyotes with this rifle. We can also get some wind here and like the heavier bullets for that. Keep the suggestions coming, I will try them.

My Tikka likes H380 and a 55 grain Berger Match Target. Don't know if it's commen but my Tikka didn't shoot well until I had close to 100 rounds down the barrel. In fact I almost sold it! Glad I kept it now.

I have been loading 55 grn. V-Max with 35 grns of Varget. My nephew has taken about 25 coyotes this winter with the load. I am guessing that they are fur friendly because he is selling the hides.

My hunting partner has a Tikka Super Varmint 22-250 and has had the best luck with both 50gr vmax and nosler BT over H4895. He tried the 53gr vmax but had much larger groups. Every gun is different but i would start with the 50gr BT over H4895 or Varget.

Originally Posted By: wilee.wadeThank you guys for the suggestions, I will give them a try. I am leaning towards the heavier bullets because I am primarily hunting coyotes with this rifle. We can also get some wind here and like the heavier bullets for that. Keep the suggestions coming, I will try them.

The Sierra 60 gr. bullets (HP) "should" stabilize in your 1x14 twist; also, try the Sierra 55 gr. HP and the Speer 52gr. HP for heavier bullets.

For these heavier bullets, consider [review] Winchester W-748 and W-760 powders, as well as IMR 4064.

The Sierra 40 gr. HP is also an excellent lighter bullet in the 22/250, and is less frangible and penetrates better than a similar weight V-Max (IMHO); use 4064 or W-748 for that one. And, your Varget should work OK also.... Good Luck!

Last edited:
My Tikka T3 22-250 works perfect with either Federal Ammunition or Winchester- I use the 55 grain bullets and they work amazing for head shooting either pigs, goats or large and small kangaroos at far distances. Even if your preferred animal is to far away for a head shot it will instantly kill them with a shoulder shot. I have head shot a few mule and blacktail deer with this rifle and the type of bullets, and it makes for a nice clean kill. I have experienced if you use hollow points for head shooting it will most certainly destroy the head, but just using normal grey tip bullets will still put your animal to sleep. I hit a kangaroo head on while he was looking at me and completely demolished one side of his face, so it is a good type of bullet to use. I personally prefer the 55 grain Winchester bullets, but whatever you prefer would work fine. Hope this helped.

Last edited:
I go with IMR 4064 36.0 gr. pushing a 50gr V-max. at around 3460FPS. Cover 3 holes with a dime at 100 yds. IMR 4064 is always available at store and I have used it for over 30 yrs. I have a Ruger predator 1 in 10 twist. Varget or IMR 4064 probably not much difference looking at reloading manual. Rudy

Back