Life after coyote calling?

GS

It seems like the overwhelming interest for most callers is to get coyotes...coyotes....and more coyotes. I am not complaining about that because it is what has feuled the long and sustained growth in this predator calling niche in the market place. But I want emphasize that there is far more than coyotes to create incredible pleasure for the hunter.

They is a diverse selection of different types of wildlife out there to be called for your outdoor experience. For example, I like to call Grey Fox the perch fishing of predator hunting. I have never been much of a fisherman but I loved perch fishing because you could rely on the perch to be biting fast and plentifully. Just as soon as your worm hit the water, the bobber was dipping up and down. Grey fox are one of the easiest and most colorful to have come in. They respond pretty quickly, as well as agressively and then are likey to be hard to drive away. They will run out and bark and I have called them back up to 4 times with 4 different sounds at the same stand. Called 5 at one stand.

Bobcats get mentioned often as one predator that many would like to call in. Just sit about twice as long as you would for coyotes and when you see one, let it come, even if it takes up to an hour. Reduce your volume and see if you can out will it. They will sit down and groom, roll on the ground, mark the bushes around them but best of all, the old saying about curiosity killing the cat couldn't be truer. If you give them enough time, they will stick their nose right in the speaker. As a percentage of cats called versus coyotes called, I have more cats come right up to the speaker than I do coyotes.

Raccoons can be one of the most prolifically called of predators. They seem to be streaky though. If you hit the sweet spot at the right time of night it would not be uncommon to call 6,8 or ten in a night. I had 12 come at one stand one time. A friend of mine called 32 in three nights back in the 80's. They will run right up to the truck and smell your bumper. We have had to push them away, when standing on the ground, with the shotgun barrell to give them a running chance.

Red Fox, Ringtails, Mountain Lions, Bear, and a variety of other wildlife are callable day or night for your hunting or viewing enjoyment. It is a tremendous way to turn kids on to the Great Outdoors tradition.

Don't some of you guys enjoy calling something other than coyotes all of the time?

GS,
I'll take what I can get.But mostly I have called in coyotes(must be the area I'm calling)

Although last year I did happen to call in a couple coon ,fox and 1 bobcat.

It seems like if I target calling in a specific animal I have no luck at all,so I just go call and am pleased and enjoy seeing whatever comes to the call.

Oh there are lots of thing's besides coyote's.I love fishing for what I call poor mans tarpon, skipjack hering , with my son. I also love jugging,deer hunting, bass and crappie fishing, and even chasing bedding bluegill with a fly rod.

One of the best things though is sitting at a shooting bench or in the woods at our small range and having a father son competition with our 22lr's. Jimmie

I've been saying it all along, there is more to predator hunting then just coyotes. It is true in most cases you are going to get more action from coyotes then other predators. GS you are so right, some of these guys need to target some of the other critters out there, Good Hunting

I do anything i can outdoors,
Hunt Deer, Elk, Ducks, Geese, Pheasent, Grouse, Quail, anything i get the chance to.
I fish for Sturgeon and do alot of Fly Fishing for trout during the summer also

One of the things that was really appealing to me about predator hunting is that you can do it during the off season, that way i can be hunting all year round /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nick~

I agree!!! I like to coyote hunt but also greys, reds, coons, cats or what ever, day or night. I try to mix it up alot. Crows, deer, TURKEYS!!!! Ground hogs, rats, grouse, quail, or just shooting at the range. Catfishing is one of my favorite summer time past times, carp is fun to. :eek: Freash or salt water, it dont matter to me. I just like to be outdoors!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

fc82269a.jpg

Here is a few Greys.

fc80dae5.jpg

A nice gobbler.

fa83830c.jpg

And a few saltwater Sheephead and spanish.

Kee

The hunting never stops. Its coyote, fox, badger and coon with the AR and the shotgun this time of year. We're also "born again" squirrel and rabbit hunters, frequently taking a young nephew along. He got his first squirrel last year and the smile lasted for days.

Recently, we've taken to squirrel and rabbit with .22 handguns. Spring means snow geese to us (with our JS 512). Summer is range work, dialing in new guns and optics, new ammo. We also fish a lot with good pike and walleyes locally.

My only beef is that I'm too old to look forward to 50 more years of hunting, lol. But I sure can't complain about the time in the field so far.

Feral cats. I'm also starting to see more bobcats and bobcat sign where I am, so I'm learning to wait longer. I haven't had much luck calling raccoons with Fighting Coon Tape, but I blame it on stand selection more than anything. Plus, I haven't put that much time into raccoon calling. When late March arrives, I concentrate on filling 5 gallon buckets with black crappie. Good post, GS.

I hunt and fish for everything that has been named here!!!!, except elk (havent drawn a tag yet, and stergen)my first ever predator kill was a grey fox. And probably my favorate thing to do other than turkey hunt is take new people out hunting. I took a kid that lives up the road deer hunting for the past 2 years and he has killed deer both year!!! I had never seen someone get so excited when he got his first deer. He's wanting to turkey hunt this year cant wait to take him out for turkeys too!!! catfishin with keekee and his kids sometimes its all awesome I couldnt immagine what life would be like without the outdoors, i dont think i want to try either you know how boring that would BE!!!!!!

I try to call anything I can but fox are in short supply here and bobcat have a short season besides the coyote is what got me into this game about 25 years ago when my uncle used to run them with dogs (read: excuse for drinking cheap whiskey around a camp fire) I started calling them and eventually killed a few. I've come to respect the coyote as one of the smartest critters out there and nothing is more rewarding to me than to call a coyote in close then watch his expression change from I'm gonna get dinner to oh no!!! bang flop. I hunt and fish year round but I'm always scouting for coyotes, always.

Yes sir. I like to call all kinds of critters. Thing is, coyotes are just more fun and challenging (in my experience). Nothing like watching them bounce in with such upredictability. I think I learn something about calling every time I call one in. I've never called in a fox in the daylight, but have killed quite a few at night. That's fun, but just not as exciting as a coyote for some reason. I don't know how to explain it. And coons....That's just too easy, depending on your area. I grew up in central Texas. When I go back home for some night calling, there have been times where up to 3 coons are standing 10 feet from the truck with their noses in the air. We have more fun trying to spit on them! LOL That's not challenging, but I guess it is fun. No matter what the animal, I have fun, and I hope to learn from the experience. There's just something about the coyote that makes it where I can't get enough of this sport.

Joel

I've been hunting for about 35 of my 42 years. I have always loved to hunt. A few years ago I had a wife that complained every time I went out to the woods. I got to the point that it was easier to stay home than to deal with 3 days of nagging.

I finally wised up and split the sheets with her. I started hunting again! The more I hunted, the more I enjoyed it! I realized that I was only getting to hunt 3 or 4 months out of the year going only after deer. I started hunting waterfowl about 4 years ago, and then I started to think about varmints and predators. My season has really opened up!

It's great to get out into the woods and watch nature "happen" around me! I'll hunt just about anything anymore, and in the summer when most seasons are closed, I'll hunt with my camera.

I am a "Newbie" with predators as this is my first season, but I am looking forward to many 'yotes, bobcats, and whatever else I can call in.

I love it when other animals come in, but it just so happens that most of the country I hunt is overrun with coyotes. I also call in gray fox, bobcats, badger and coons, and they are all equally fun to me, but usually the coyote seems to be the first thing to show up in my neck of the woods. I know of a few areas that are predominantly fox and cat country, but it is farther away and not as convenient to get to.

Take care,

Rusty Holt

Originally posted by GS:
[qb][Grey fox] respond pretty quickly, as well as agressively and then are likey to be hard to drive away. [/qb]
They sure are hard to drive away! Even after shooting one in the leg it just made him run faster into the call! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back