Which .204 Ruger Factory cartridges to try?

Jim Phillips

I just purchased a nice rifle chambered for .204 Ruger. The barrel is a 1:12 twist and I would like to try some factory ammo. I am not, and doubt I ever will become, a hand loader. I want to do a lot of paper punching and steel plate ringing (I hope) but will also set up on occasion to see if I can call in a Coyote or two. Any suggestions for which factory ammo I line up to try would be appreciated.

Try the Hornady. Most guys get good results with it. Of course every rilfe is different. None of my three bolts, two CZ's and a 700, like Winchester at all.

Greg

Keep an eye out for some Federal Premium 39 gr. Sierra Blitzking factory ammo. Although it (probably) has been discontinued - Lord knows why - I occasionally see some leftovers on shelves in my travels. Even though I handload I keep a stash on hand, it's that accurate in both my C-Z and Cooper. The 39 BK is known for shooting well in 12-twist .204s that won't stabilize 40 grain bullets.
The Hunting Shack, last time I checked, was still loading some; also the 35 gr. Berger HP, a good coyote-killing bullet that's generally pretty accurate in slow-twist .204s.

Last edited:
What several have mentioned.....the Federal Loaded 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings shoot very well in a .204 Rifle,next choice would be whatever grain choice You want in the Hornady brand or Winchester 32 grain ammo!

I have a CZ model 527 "Varmint" .204 Rifle and it does Awesome with those 39 SBK Bullets...but they quit making them unless You find a Shop that still has them as Deathwind mentioned or You buy the bullets from Sierra and load them Yourself?

Last edited:
Since none have mentioned barrel length, you may need to start with a lighter bullet . I have a Savage 12 FV with a 26" barrel and it will shoot the 40's but shorter barrels may not. Try some of each and find out what your gun likes depending upon barrel length.

32 and 40gr Hornady's are a great off the shelf choice. Be aware that your rifle may or may not like the higher speeds of the "Superformance" line of ammunition from Hornady. But I have found their standard ammunition to be very reliable and accurate.

You may also try Fiocchi that are loaded with Hornady bullets, or Winchester Silver ammunition.

The .204 is sure a nice cartridge.

Back