Is there a point where elderly shouldn't get a tag?

Originally Posted By: skb2706I would much rather have the chance to hunt just one more time with my father and his friends.....all of which are gone now, than some know it all, self serving whiner, that's been hunting a whole 8 years and I would do all the work for them, no problem.

They are the reason I do it and I don't forget it.

Best response of the whole darn worthless thread.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: skb2706I remember now why I quit coming here.

YEP.

Did someone force either of you to come back?

I came back to notify mutual friends of the passing of a friend .....so no. No one forced me to come back. It used to be a place of mutual interest to many and find friends who share a common interest. It's not that any more.......

Originally Posted By: skb2706I came back to notify mutual friends of the passing of a friend .....so no. No one forced me to come back. It used to be a place of mutual interest to many and find friends who share a common interest. It's not that any more.......

It's not the round table coffee gang it once was....

Originally Posted By: Big_FootOriginally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: skb2706I remember now why I quit coming here.

YEP.

Who appointed you to question it?
rolleyes.gif
You've been here for 8 months and it's not likely that you have any idea what Steve or I were referring to.

But to answer your unsolicited inquiry, I still have a few friends here that I check on from time to time. Things have definitely changed ... .. . . . .

Originally Posted By: Big_FootOriginally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: skb2706I remember now why I quit coming here.

YEP.

You made my point.

I don't understand why this thread is a negative that would make a fella feel like he shouldn't be here. A member posted what he believed to be a legitimate concern in our world of hunting. That post sparked a lively discussion, which should be a good thing. After all, if we just type around telling each other how great we are (and we are great, right?
smile.gif
), what fun would it be? I think it's conversations like these that help us all learn and become better people and hunters. I believe that you (skb and Hidalgo) have a lot to offer here, and would encourage you to visit more often to share your hard-earned knowledge and life experiences, and maybe even pick up a kernel of knowledge or a good chuckle yourselves. This place becomes a richer and more vibrant community when long-time members, newbies, and, yes, even liberals stop in. Do I agree with the original post here? No, but then I don't agree with lots of ideas in this world. But I hope and believe there are plenty of other excellent ideas here to keep us all entertained. So c'mon, stick around. There's lots happening here that we can all be a part of.

These boards are what you make them. If you want to have a campfire meeting than by all means have one. No doubt that PM has changed over the last 14 years. How many of us have been married, divorced, died had kids, new jobs, new interests etc. etc. There's been a few presidents, wars, miracles and disasters.

Does anyone really expect things to stay the same.

If we walked away from someone every time we disagreed no one would stay married or at the same job or ever have the same friends for very long.

Tbone, what happens when anti hunting politicians change the rule so that almost nobody can pass the target test? In a way to ban hunting by sidetrack. Giving away more rights and freedoms to give you a better chance at an elk is just not good long term thinking. And there are some young hunters that are far more dangerous and worthless than any elderly hunters I've known. Has there been a uptick in shooting accidents that have you chasing this idea? Because hunting accidents are at all time lows as far as I can tell. I wonder if you feel the same about older folks being able to protect themselves with a handgun license also? Not sure if you are really worried about your safety, or your securing a tag every year. Easy way around it is to go buy your own chunk of property. But the government testing everyone would become out of control.

In my experience mature persons are less likely to shoot when unsure of target or background. Less likely to load to max capacity. Less likely to forget to unload. Less likely to get overly excited. And less likely to handle firearms when they should not. I am however understanding of the tag situation. It will rectify itself. Those that are old will die and those that are young will be old. Have patience.

I didn't expect anyone to agree with me, just to think about it. I don't know a lot, and i am the very first to claim i am an expert of nothing. I have only hunted Elk for 8 years, and during that time i have seen some really unsafe behaviors and down right illegal actions. I grew up hunting my whole life, just not big game.

I have read every single post, and appreciate the thoughful and sometimes less thoughtful comments. Insults and swearing, to me, are just the fustration of those that can't see past their own world and can't come up with the words to articulate a different thought or rebuttal.

It also seems like most, that are lashing out, are only thinking of their fathers or people they grew up hunting with. I guess i just run into more hunters when in the field than some other people. From what i have seen, there are plenty of cases where people in general in the field are not what we may call good embasadors of the sport. If you disagree or haven't seen that, well, you are very lucky person.

I agree that anti's could make it impossible to pass the tests as they have in NY, where if you get a CCW card it's a pure miracle and sign of devotion. So Eugene, you have a good point.

I wasn't going to beat the drum on this topic, but after two more pages of comments, I will make another observation.

I took the meat stick (300win mag) to the range to check the zero. This is the first time i have had to buy another box of ammo for this rifle. In the past 8 years i have only fired 20 shots,(one to check zero, one for an elk after zeroing) I get to the range, and it's a circus. the range officers, in the hour that i was there, were very busy telling people to follow the rules, don't flag the line, and almost all of the people there were out shooting their hunting rifles.
I was stunned at the line of 30 people ( i counted thinking i would post it here and wasn't sure if i would) waiting in line to have someone else zero their rifle for them. The range has more than 50 tables for the public. A group sets up there at the range and offers zeroing as a service. The go to guy for this is an older guy that looked like mid 70s and he was really good, I sat and watched him for 20 minutes. He was very methodical, and dilligent.

Now, if you are not talking about your dad or family friend or grandma, wouldn't you be concerned about hunters going into the field that don't know how to, or just can't seem to zero their own rifle?
There were plenty there I saw on the line on both sides of me that had the biggest shoot and see targets that looked like they were shooting 100yrds using a shotgun.(15 MOA kind of shooting)after 20 shots.

I also went to the states reported elk hunting success and calculated the averages for several things.

These are the hunt success rates in percentages for all the hunts in 2013(latest data, and self reported on the postcard all hunters get after their tag expires) I think the archery numbers are better than i expected and the overall percentages were lower than i thought they would be. It's hunting, not shooting, but, was just surprised that more than half the people that hunt Elk don't get one.

Rifle all groups 42%
Juniors 59%
Elderly 33%
muzzleloader 50%
Archery 31%

I guess when a guy doesn't have to go to a public shooting range, or hunt public land, he may not be aware of the crazy stuff you just mentioned. I need to get out of my bubble more I guess. Or maybe not. I'll never understand having someone else sight in my own rifle though. Makes you wonder how many wounded animals go off and die and are wasted from bad shots though.

Originally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury Makes you wonder how many wounded animals go off and die and are wasted from bad shots though.
Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ From what i have seen, there are plenty of cases where people in general in the field are not what we may call good embasadors of the sport...

It's hunting, not shooting, but, was just surprised that more than half the people that hunt Elk don't get one.

These are my exact concerns. I am not anti ANYBODY hunting. I just wish they would respect the privilege they have been granted. In the two weeks I was up in the mountains this year we saw THREE, yes THREE wounded/dead elk that were gut shot, shoulder shot or whatever and NOT recovered. This was in a very small area. How many animals are wasted every year? There are no statistics for that.

Now, don't get me wrong, I of course understand that people MISS. But knowing for a fact that there are TOO MANY unprepared "hunters" out there it just makes me sick. I saw it first hand from the guys with who I was hunting. We quickly remedied their issues though.

I guess I don't really have a point other than don't judge others unless you know their circumstances. Or, just go to Utah during rifle deer season and wander around the woods close to a road and let us know if you think EVERYONE should be allowed to hunt...

As for the elderly, my dad has been hunting with us for the past 10 years without a rifle. He says "I have killed enough", but just wants to be with us for the joy of the hunt.

To each their own.

We did have a Hmong guy from MN up in northern WI open fire on about 6 people and kill most of them about 10 years ago though during the gun deer season. All over some name calling and trespassing as I remember it. Lot of public land and private land located nearby in the north of the state. So I guess it can get hairy out there. The Hmong seem to like to gather gutpiles too. And carp.

Eugene, stay where you are.. lol

AZ.. I am glad and sad that i am not the only one seeing this..

I guess my point of this is that it's really not something i want the government doing. I would also say that it's not about age. It's more about responsibility. I know there will be a day (hopefully) when i get to the point where i will be ride along charlie and try my best to share what knowledge i have, and just take joy in being at camp and along for the hunt. Hopefully my kids will take me along.

I can't change the name of the topic to "when should you hang up the rifle and be a mentor" but its basically the point.

I would love to see Hunters Ed made more instructional and less check box. I also wouldn't gripe if the Game and fish did random spot checks of a small percentage of people that put in for the lottery to ensure they understand the rules, demonstrate a basic knowledge of how to gut and dress your game, and maybe a 10 shot chance to hit a 10" metal target at 100yrds.

Back