Whop Noise..... Impact on Coyote... MEANS WHAT...?

dan brothers

Whop Noise... Watermelon Sound... ETC

When shooting coyotes with my 223 or 204 with 40 gr Vmax bullets... all made that wonderful sound as the coyotes simply quivered and fell over.

NOW... when shooting my 20-250 AI with 55 Bergers, I don't hear that sound... and... I get spinners and runners, even though they do die, but not on the spot.

Question... do you think the Bergers are NOT opening up quick enough?

The entrance hole is normal, but the exit is larger than I had expected.

I hate to go down to a smaller weight bullet.... got any suggestions...?

What about doing something to the hole in the Berger?

i have always used 52.gr.HPBT BERGERS.IN MY 22-250,I USE 40'S IN MY 223,AND 25GR.IN MY 17.REM.i have cut many coyotes open and bergers do expand real well.try some 40's and see what they do for you.before you could get bergers i shot sierra's and hornady bullets [HPBT MATCH] they made a thud and quite often a large hole going out. those are thin jacket target bullets and they expanded real fast but still made a mess to often bergers helped.but the 17.rem made that almost disappear

I'm no expert with ballistics or bullet terminal performance, but I believe the whop noise to be the hydrostatic shock being delivered by the bullet! The bullet has dumped all of its energy into the insides of that coyote! I can't say that I've heard the noise on any coyote that had an entrance and exit.

Yes. On a broadside shot, shoot them right at the top of the front leg instead of behind the front leg. They will drop like a rock. The 55 Berger won't give you the splat that a 40 Vmax does, they're totally different bullets. On the other hand, the 55 Berger will take out a coyote at half a mile in that gun. The 40 Vmax is done (both in energy ft. lbs. and wind drift) way before it gets that far.

Quote..

I can't say that I've heard the noise on any coyote that had an entrance and exit.

That is an interesting thought Tater... it makes me think back on some of those shots....HMMMmmmm

And I do believe that I will have to start shooting them on the shoulder like you said 4Jake.

Shooting them 1/2 mile was my purpose for the build... now I just have to find one that will stand still for me...LOL.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the 40 vmax did not exit. The 55 gr Bergers are, which is why you don't get the sound you are wanting.

These are not deer and you need to crowd or shoot on the shoulder if you want DRT.

When shooting the 40grs ... neck shots would kinda blow things up... frontal, and side view shots behind the leg would drop'em instantly... rarely ever pass through both sides... and there would always be the whop... nothing sounds better than the whop.

The 55's will have to crowd the shoulder I guess... that's not what I want to do. But that causes a need to be more precise in shot placement, which can be a handicap on longer range shots. The 40 vmax would drop them with about any shot placement along it's side.

I hit one last year, mid-body with the 55, at 404 yds, and it spun around like a top before turning into a runner. I don't remember a whop, but I'm sure the 40 vmax would have dropped it.

I think I'm trading off DRT, for a better BC.

If you use a suppressor you can hear it
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I guess they are target bullets... not really designed for hunting and quick expansion I'm sure. I thought maybe black hole might have a quicker expansion 55 gr bullet

With my suppressor the whoop is louder than the bang. But really even when a partner and I split and I hear him shoot I know whether it is a hit or miss from the whoop after the shot. Love hearing it and he does not shoot with one

Last edited:
Do you think velocity and LBS of force have anything to do with it? I shoot 50GR VMAX out of my 22-250 and very seldom hear the impact. Muzzle velocity is at 3340 FPS. The ONE indication I do get consistently is a real big wad of 'stuff' flying up, out, and off those 'yotes. You can generally read the paper through the hole left by the round. Even at 3340 MV you still get explosive results and a poorly placed shot works, eventually. The round is not as good as the 50GR PSPs on bone though. Still, I prefer those 50GR VMAX. JMHO

Dog1... I guess your saying that the bullet passes through both sides...if so... then that must be the answer, because when I heard it the most, was with those 40 vmax bullets with only one small entrance hole.... no exit.

Back