Thermal scope options suggestions for $8K or less

The Duke

Looking at the Flir scopes spec looks good however I get hung up at the battery I would rather go through a lot of batteries than the run out of battery and can't use it till it charges.

IR hunter mk2 35mm sounds great.

Is there another option I should be looking at? Something better quality?

Get yourself an external battery pack, have it charged up before your hunt, grab a cable and use it when you need it.

I have external battery packs for my Flir LS64, ATN Thor and IR patrol.

Can't go wrong!!

I have the FLIR RS64 35mm and the IR Hunter MarkII 35mm. Both are $6500 it but deals can be found. One thing I have been thankful for was the advice I got here on PM to buy from a reputable seller. You get what you pay for in night vision and thermal. Most of my purchases have been through TNVC. They have been excellent. I had a tube burn out in a Aquila 4x when I first bought it. They sent it back to the manufacture and ended up sending me a new scope. They are both excellent scopes and you can't go wrong with either. I had the FLIR for a year and have killed a bunch of hogs with it. Last fall, the FLIR RS scopes were the best scope on the market for the $. My thoughts:

FLIR RS64 35mm: Better FOV. 1x optical & 8x digital zoom. I spend most of my time in 2x where I hunt in West Texas. I know 1x has better FOV but due to the rocks and heat here, the 2x gives be better definition when scanning. I'll zoom in to 4x for the first shot then pop back out to 2x or 1x for the runners (I like to make sure I have at least one down to take a hog selfie!). Internal battery is a bit of a pain and you have to remember to charge it before you hunt but over a couple of night hunts it will last. Controls are easy and color options available. You can get a portable charger as mentioned above but that is a minor of a hassle. You have to remember to have you backup battery charged as well... FLIR has excellent reputation and warranty.

Mark II 35mm: Smaller FOV but able to go out more distance. For open areas at 100+ yards this is a better scope for me. (Up close you would want the 19mm with a much better FOV). Scope is 2.5x optical and up to 20x digital. I don't find anything past 10x useful and spend most of my time in 2.5 and 5x. Resolution is much more clear on the MARK II and image quality is better during the day ( I have not update the firmware yet on my FLIR, so in fairness, my opinion may change). Black and white only, no color options (color makes for cool pictures but white and black hot are best and this scope has 3 settings of each). Replaceable CR123 batteries are a plus but 2 will only last about 4 hours. Bought a battery expansion cap so it will last longer but you will need to buy the lithium batteries in bulk if you hunt a lot. The cheap plastic eye piece in the back of the scope falls off all the time. I have seen other options available but have not tried them yet.

You can hook up either to a DVR to record your hunts. Both have Larue lever mounts which are the absolute best in my opinion. Both are easy to use and sight in. I had an issue with a couple of pixels burning out in my Mark II. I called IR defense and they sent me a shipping label and had it back to me fixed in a week. Customer service was awesome. I have heard the same regarding FLIR. If I were to buy right now, having used both scopes, I would give the edge to the MARK II. Good luck with your choice.

I have spoke with IR Defense over the phone and email and they seemed like they were there to help out with any question I had. I spoke to the guy for almost 30 min. while he was moving. Seemed like a great guy/company.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupNothing worse than having your batteries die when you are using it.

Biggest pet peeve. I don't really care for an additional battery pack either. By the time you put your suppressor on a scope with 20 rounds of ammo its hard to keep gun under 8-9 pounds!! The older I get the less I want that gun to weigh!!!! HAHA

When I bought my Mark II I scope this summer, I spoke with IR defense and TNVC to decide if I would buy another FLIR or the IR Hunter. They were both great and full of a lot of information. I called IR defense first but it was one of the sales guys at TNVC that sold me on the Mark II.

The for the support guys. To the OP, sent you a PM as well. Let me know if I can assist you with any further questions. IR Defense is a great company as well that really stands behind their fully Made in the USA product. I've been to their Northern California facility a few times and always an impressive visit. The owner Scott Henry is also a great guy who has designed numerous thermal scopes over the years.

Vic

A pal has the Flir thermal scope and has yet to run out of power hunting at night.
I have a ps32 and have run it empty as I scan full time, BUT I do carry 2 small lightweight/thin 6000mha battery packs that I got from a local big box joint. One on me fully charged and one in the truck. When Im moving to other sets the thermal is plugged in, even if for 5 min.
They are an item you need to have if running ON all the time w/thermals
I carry it in my shirt pocket and my cable runs to the thermal.
There is so little weight w/mine I don't notice it.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupYou can also hook up the battery pack and charge and use it at the same time.

Ya for more gun weight. They are already heavy enough! By mile 3 of walking you want that sucker light!

Originally Posted By: The DukeOriginally Posted By: SkyPupYou can also hook up the battery pack and charge and use it at the same time.

Ya for more gun weight. They are already heavy enough! By mile 3 of walking you want that sucker light!

The Duke would be a little upset if he heard you squawking about carrying a 3 ounce battery pack!

Time to man up!

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: The DukeOriginally Posted By: SkyPupYou can also hook up the battery pack and charge and use it at the same time.

The Duke would be a little upset if he heard you squawking about carrying a 3 ounce battery pack!

Time to man up!

HAHAHA

Here's a chart for the battery extenders for the IRD units. Not too much extra weight for numerous hours of use. Plus add to the fact, DVR Cables, recording trigger cables, now USB cables all attached to the gun...Oh the insanity of it all!
w00t.gif

https://tnvc.com/shop/ir-defense-battery-extender/

Battery_Ex_Runtimes_Hunter_zps8vlkuzsn.jpg

Patrol%20Battery_Ex_Runtimes_zpsmdgleq3k.jpg

Back