scope for a 17 hmr

tyler cagle

Hi, I have a CZ 452 zkm american and was looking to put a new scope on it. I have a BSA sweet 17 mounted on it, but it's a terrible scope! Most of the screws on the turrents have stripped, the glass sucks and the rubber grips for the parralex and zoom have come unglued. Not looking for anything pricey just something with decent glass and at least a 3x9. Thoughts?

I've been content with the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 on mine. Put an inexpensive Vortex (Diamondback perhaps?) on the kid's and it's chugging along just fine too. Seems like a decent scope for the money.

burris 4-14x32... clearidge 3-9x32,weaver rv9, or weaver v16..If you don't want AO, then a leupold vx1 4-12 and if you choose you could have the parallax adjusted to the distance you intend to shoot most often.

I suggest you avoid 40mm scopes on the light little american. It will look and handle much better with an appropriate sized scope. Furthermore, I usually go lower on power, but the 17hmr can shoot far and its intended targets are usually small. This makes something 9 to 16x useful. I also like something like a fine duplex or varminter reticle.Enough to see easilly on a busy background but small for shooting things in the head.

I have a v24 on my 455 varmint hmr but it is mostly just for plinking and the occasional sage rat or jack rabbit. I have other lower power scopes for hunting.

Last edited:
I picked up a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x for a future .17 HMR when they had a $100 rebate. Very clear glass for the price and I think it will work perfect for sniping small game.

url]

I put a center point 4x16x40 AO on my 17hmr its a walmart cheapo but I like it. I did a search on it and it doesn't get bad reviews in general. Glass doesn't compare to my leopolds or nikons but it good enough for squirrels and ground hogs. If anything is going to destroy this scope it'll be the bouncing on the back rack of my 4 wheeler
Justin

Beautiful rifle, Tim.

Originally Posted By: tomcat388thI put a center point 4x16x40 AO on my 17hmr its a walmart cheapo but I like it. I did a search on it and it doesn't get bad reviews in general. Glass doesn't compare to my leopolds or nikons but it good enough for squirrels and ground hogs. If anything is going to destroy this scope it'll be the bouncing on the back rack of my 4 wheeler
Justin

Same here. I put the 4x16 Center Point on a Marlin thumbhole HMR. It works as good as anything else for the intended purpose.
Several crows have bit the dust already. If I recall correctly, I paid $59.95 for it at Walmart. The target turrents look good
but don't seem to calibrate as they should. Just zeroed, set and left alone it works fine.

A nickel covered 5 of the 7 shots fired at a 94 yard target, and that from a really stiff trigger.

Back