17 WSM. How does it stack up as being a "pelt friendly" round?

Maybe im just being picky. I mostly kill a lot of foxes both reds and greys. But i would like to be able to kill a big coyote if the oportunity presents itself. Maybe ill just make headshots on the coyotes. i usualy dont save coyote hides

Dont let them badger you, the wsm has solid ballistics and the SS bmag and the ruger 77/17 are both tack drivers. yhey put yotes without a Problem. I always like smaller rounds, and wsm's are good to 200 yards killing power if its not too windy

If coyote is an "opportunity" animal, then concentrate on a cartridge for fox. I think the 20 grain offering of the 17WSM is a good choice (see below for thoughts on the 25 grain).

I'll try to find the exit wound on this gray. He was shot with the 25 grain 17WSM out of my Contender Carbine. Needless to say, the 25 grain was not "fur friendly". You will probably want to stick with the 20 grain for saving fur on the smaller predators.

post-2-0-49659500-1397603324.jpg

Eric
cool.gif

If a guy is willing to cut their huntable range to respect the limitations of their underpowered cartridge, then there's really nothing wrong with hunting coyotes with the 17WSM. I started hunting coyotes as a kid with a 22wmr of my uncles (previously my grandpa's) and in the last ~25yrs, I've killed dozens of them with 22LR rifles and even pistols. Get a dog at 25yrds and ventilate his clockwork and he'll drop where he stands. There's no argument that it's an impractical calling rifle, since it's so range limited, but I've done so - 100yrds or less...

It's a lot more rifle than a 17HMR, but it's not in the same class as the centerfire 17's, let alone the "standard fare" 22 centerfires.

I have a BMag, a heavy stainless model, bedded into a Boyd's featherweight thumbhole, and re-knobbed with a Glades bolt handle, re-capped with a post-recall bolt cap, with a 4-12x40mm Nikon Buckmaster on top in Leupold Rifleman (cheap) rings. In my wife's hands, it'll put 8 shot groups under 3/4" from a rest in the absence of wind (local indoor 100yrd range).

I personally started coyote hunting with a .17 wsm. It first came out , I got one..
I watched at least 6-8 coyotes run off like I missed them. I was getting discouraged thinking I was making poor shots.
The last stand I used this rifle on I made a chest shot on a coyote at around 30 yards, I saw a clump of fur fly and watched it run off.
Once I stopped taking that rifle , well my success rate spiked drastically. As a newb hunter I made the mistake of choosing too small of a round. Lesson learned. I brought this rifle prairie doggin. Now that was pretty dang fun.
Since than I've shot multiple coyotes with 80 grains that ran 1-200 yards with very large holes right through the basket.
Coyotes are very resilient.
Also I hear people saying .17wsm is fine for coyotes, I've yet to see a lot of evidence with pictures. I'm not Saying it's impossible just saying it's not the best round.

Originally Posted By: Inxslung12Coyotes are very resilient.
I'm not Saying it's impossible just saying it's not the best round.

I have to agree 100%.

Shot placement is everything, but there is a such thing as using enough rifle to get the job done too. Coyotes are NOT known for offering the best shot positions. Therefore, my belief is... There's no such thing as too much rifle. If you want to save the pelts, shoot 'em in the head. I used to use a .25-06 w/ a 75gr. Hornady V-Max and now I'm using a .243 w/ a 75gr. Hornady V-Max.
No runners, DRT shots...I hate following blood trails.
thumbup1.gif
Blood trails are for bowhunting.

I have a Savage 17wsm and it's a killing machine, for groundhogs. I've had DRT shots on g-hogs out as far as 178 yards (laser rangefinder) and two others at 146 and 142 yards.
smile.gif

However, I wouldn't dream of using it for coyotes.

That's where the Savage 243, really shines!
thumbup1.gif

Bowhunter57

Back