Coyote hunting in Maine...

DSCN0415_zpswn2wsomr.jpg
got this one this morning. started with coyote lone , a minute later she answered in the same tone. I started some lip squeaks then another couple of lone howls. then at about the 11 minute mark out she came and I whacked her. she weighed 29 lbs It was very cool. don

DSCN0420_zps1zrfjk9a.jpg

got this one this morning. It's a female 40.1 lbs In my excitement I missed her twice, but foxbang brought her right back. thanks FoxPro.first saw her at about 400 yds standing broadside on a big rock in a blueberry ground. she came in to coyote lone howls and lip squeaks. finally shot her at about 60yds. hard to control excitement.
don

Last edited:
DSCN0421_zpsbhuhocgk.jpg
I had a very good morning. after 15 minutes the female came in and I remembered to woof her and she stopped and I whacked her at about 60yds. the call went to pup in distress and in just a short time the male came in, I woofed him and he also stopped and got whacked right near the first one. this setup also happened on a big blueberry ground. very very cool
don

Greetings from up north in the county! I find it to be a whole different world up here compared to southern maine. Ive been hunting over beaver carcass bait for years, this is my first year calling and im looking foward to it!

about 1 month ago I called one in but lost it in some ground fog and the wind shifted and it was gone. well 2 days ago I was back there and the wind was perfect and I set up a bit different, allowing me to get back further. I now was about 150yds upwind of the decoy and call. I started with lip squeaks off and on for 20 mins then then one howled off to my right so I answered with one lone howl and waited about 3mins and out it came about 20 yds in front of me and running to the call and decoy. I woofed but it would not stop so I tried a Les Johnson running shot. It flipped all over and was digging a trench. I missed a 2nd shot and it got to the woods. I had good blood for quite a ways but it was very thick woods and I gave up cause I'm getting too old to get lost in the Maine woods which in this spot is quite huge. I'll probably look again though, I hate to give up. It was a very cool morning.
don
ps yes it was a very big female, biggest I've shot.

Last edited:
wow I'm on a roll. sitting down for lunch my motion detectors went off and there was a coyote on my bait. It was 12:00 noon what a surprise. it was a young male just 23 lbs, but a coyote none the less. I've got 11 so far this year and this is the first on my bait at home. I don't know if he was after the skunk, any roadkill in a pinch.
don
DSCN0426_zpssfq13fpo.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a camp in Molunkus, ME (TA R5 WELS) next to Medway.
saw lots of Moose scat on a quick scout, anyone know how the coyote hunting is around there?

I've never hunted that area but if I were you I'd go out in the evening and do some locater howls. especialy near any open choppin you find. do some group yip howls.
don

I can't speak for hunting Molunkus directly- but it's a swampy area- and that means coyotes in Maine. Get after them.

Don- I'm heading in to camp Friday night and plan on coyote hunting Saturday morning. I've got a young litter out back to work on (they've been seen in the road multiple times). Feel free to tag along.

hi Dave that sounds very cool but this is a bad weekend for me. I won't be able to do it. thanks for the invite. let me know how you do.

growing up we had a saying "don't sweat the small stuff" well in this coyote calling you better sweat the small stuff. seems like anything you forget you will need. I just go a lot. I have a sound called "coyote lone" I don't remember where I got it but I think it really works. it's like "deep howls" but a little different
don

Back