Boyds stock & Bmag

wolverines

I just finished putting my Boyds Forest Camo Rimfire Hunter stock on my Bmag. Everything went together with no mods to the stock. I am having one issue though. I'm having a very hard time getting the safety on. No issues getting it off which has got me stumped at the moment. Has anyone else ran into this? I would think if it was a fitting issue, I wouldn't be able to work it either way. It's very smooth going forward, but I have to take the bolt out to get a finger nail in one of the grooves to slide it back to safety on. I'm at a loss as to how I can fix this. I think the rifle looks, great, it feels great, barrels free floating, feels like a real rifle instead of a toy...just need to figure this safety out.

22953-1427341452.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my setup. I found that if I push down and move it back at the same time it works. I had to do some scraping around on my stock to get everything to fit.

IIRC, I had to do some relieving in area if the safety, with a Dremel tool. Everything else fit well, except my thumbhole vented varmint stock needed just a bit of relieving on the left side of the barrel channel, to get a free float. Yes the Boyd's stock is a BIG improvement over the plastic POS Savage puts on this rifle. I am glad to see Savage add a real stock to their product line for the BMag.

Squeeze

when i put my 93r17 on a boyds stock i had to do some inletting for the safety to function correctly, and also setting the torque on the action screws was key for everything to run correctly.

i dont know how much correlation that will have with your bmag, but it may be some place to start.

keep us posted what you find
smile.gif

I read about the shims on RFC. I don't think thats an option for me because I can barely get the threads started on the back screw as it is.

I tried oil, reassembly starting with the front screw, and lighted up on how much torque I put on the screws. Got it to function a couple times tonight, but that was it.

I'm starting to wonder if the high cheek weld on the Boyds is preventing me from getting my thumb in the right position to be able to pull straight back on the safety, cause I can push it forward no problem. Best theory I've come up with so far.

Last edited:
I received my Boyds stock this morning. The magazine would not snap into place. I had to do a little bit of filing on the front area of the mag well. I took my time, checking it frequently. Now the magazine snaps right in. No other issues.
Test fired at a distance of 100 yds, the point of impact had changed by about 3/4" high. 3 Clicks later I had a 3 shot 3/4" group! Yep, I'm Happy Happy Happy!
thumbup.gif

Hey guys, Any up dates on the B mags with the Boyds stocks?
Accuracy? Game taken? performance issues? second thought or recommendations?
ordered a B mag from Cabelas and planning on a Boyds stock conversion.

Originally Posted By: vix Hey guys, Any up dates on the B mags with the Boyds stocks?
Accuracy? Game taken? performance issues? second thought or recommendations?
ordered a B mag from Cabelas and planning on a Boyds stock conversion.

I put my HB SS Bmag in a Boyd's Pro Varmint that was bed to the receiver before I ever shot it. Had the barrel threaded and cut back to 20 inches, too. All work was done before I ever fired a single round through it so I don't have a clue how it shot right out of the box. With American Eagle 20 grainers that I weight sorted, the two groups that it shot at 100yds were .5 and .4 and it avg. 2984 FPS with the now 20in. factory barrel.

These Bmags are kind of a PITA to bed, so don't be surprised if your gunsmith asks you to kindly never bring him one again, I know mine did lol and because of their design, the only thing you can bed is around the front action screw. I know some that have bed the full length of the barrel and I guess it worked out ok for them but I'm not a fan of anything touching the barrel.

For anyone who does their own bedding and wants an idea of what one looks like bed around the front screw, pm me your email or cell # and I'll gladly email or text you pics of how mine was done.

Originally Posted By: B23 With American Eagle 20 grainers that I weight sorted, the two groups that it shot at 100yds were .5 and .4 and it avg. 2984 FPS with the now 20in. factory barrel.

want to sell this rifle?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: B23 With American Eagle 20 grainers that I weight sorted, the two groups that it shot at 100yds were .5 and .4 and it avg. 2984 FPS with the now 20in. factory barrel.

want to sell this rifle?
smile.gif

LOL I couldn't afford to sell it, have way to much in it now and nobody would want to pay the price I'd have to ask for it. If my wife ever finds out how much I've spent on this thing since I've bought it, I'll be "living in a van, down by the river". A little Chris Farley motivational speaker humor there.
grin.gif

OK,
I was over at rim fire central and watched several you tube vids. one guy seems to be slaying an abundance of ground squirrels and such at ranges from 50 to 250 yards with the B mag.

So the more I read on the 17 WSM I'm just not feeling it.
In any configuration the .17 WSM sounds like a crap shoot at best.
If I'm lucky enough to get a good one and then I spend about the cost of the rifle on improvements I may or may not have a rifle that shoots minute of coyote.
I've only seen posts from two or three who are happy with their B mags and not much better on the ruger at three times the money.
I know bad press gets more air play but really?
I wanted an accurate rimfire with a little more power than the 22 mag and to hunt fox and coyote, one that I could continue to hunt into the night with and and with limited pelt damage.
(Rim fire or shot gun only after dark here in Michigan.)
I'm starting to think I need to forget about this, cancel my order at Cabelas and just use my shot gun.
Am I wrong here ? or is this "Super" rim fire just a waste of time and money? I was hoping for a rifle that would shoot "out of the box" not a major project.
can any one convince me otherwise?
And if not who wants to buy three boxes of .17 WSM?

Originally Posted By: vixOK,
I was over at rim fire central and watched several you tube vids. one guy seems to be slaying an abundance of ground squirrels and such at ranges from 50 to 250 yards with the B mag.

So the more I read on the 17 WSM I'm just not feeling it.

If you are not feeling it, then don't buy one.

I won a HB SS BMag at a DU banquet, so I didn't need to "feel it", it just landed in my lap. I could have traded it, but I decided to play with it first. After my first range test, I immediately ordered a Boyds Thumbhole Varmint stock. I polished the trigger surfaces, swapped out the stock, and put a decent scope on it. The picture shows how the BMag ended up. In this picture, I just shot a male House Sparrow, off the bird house, in the background(85 yards away). If it shoots well enough to vaporize bluebird killing house sparrows, at 85 yards, it will stay in the arsenal. I could see it as a minute of coyote rifle out to 200 yards, but it is so far down the pecking order in my rifle pile, that it will be relegated to yard varmint duty.

The one advantage for this rifle, in WI, is land owners can dispatch crows with rimfire rifles...Not centerfire rifles.
glare.gif
During crow season, everyone else has to use shotguns. So my new crow dispatcher, is the 17 WSM, when they sit in the trees, 150 yards out laughing at me, that little V-Max bullet takes that smile right off their face.

Squeeze

Last edited:
Thanks Squeeze,
Sounds like you have yourself a shooter there. After further research along with the info in your post. I'm leaning toward a SS. H-bar. Or one of the new "target models". I looked at the Boyds stocks and they do look nice and seem a good value for the money.
Any one else care to chime in?

I just bought a ss HB B-Mag with 1:8 twist (in other words current production). My Boyd's pro varmint stock also arrived and I am trying to fit everything together. My problem is that the trigger doesn't extend far enough below the stock when the action is seated. Anyone else have this problem? And if so, how did you fix the problem?

I too had trouble with my HB BMag. I bought a Boyd's stock and actually thought they sent me the wrong stock . The safety would work fine outside the Boyd's stock , but not in the stock . I had to do a lot of dermal work in the bottom of the stock where the side of the action set in the stock . Better stated maybe .... Widen the channel so the action would not touch the side of the stock . Also had to do dermal around the safety button and the mag opening . It took a lot of in and out of the stock to get everything working right . It was definitely not a drop in installation. All said and done I am happy with the rifle and stock . I have to admit I was very frustrated for a couple of days . Take your time and take small amounts off at a time . Good luck !

Back