.22 Hornet or .222 rem, for coyotes?

Fox

Hi all,
I have a .22-250 for open country coyote hunting, Fantastic caliber for the job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.
I am now looking for a coyote rifle for around my house to protect my chickhens and sheep with lambs, i lost 2 lambs last week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.
Range would be max 200yds.
Cant seem to decide weather to get a .222 or a Hornet.
Will the .22 Hornet have enough knock down power for the job?
I am sorta leaning toward .22 Hornet a nice CZ 527. looks to be a quick handy light rifle?
What do you all think? As I cant seem to make my mind up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif, .22 Hornet or .222?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Fox, This is my opinion but I would stay w/ the 22-250 unless you are want to justify buying another rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If so, by all means. you can never have enough.

God Bless,

Song Dog

While the 22 hornet won't be the hammer your 22-250 is it is certainly capable of killing coyotes out to 200 yards. Another option would be the 221 fireball as CZ chambers that as well in their 527. The 222 wouldn't be bad either.

Or I might recommend a .223. Cheap to shoot and the NEF that I own is a tack driver and you can buy different caliber barrels kind of like T/C.

Not much support for the Triple duece???? The hornet will be quiet if the noise is a concern, at least more quiet than the .222 or the boomer .22-250....But My vote would be for the .222 it is very accurate in a good rifle, and easier to reload, and will hit that 200 yard coyote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif with more authority /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks so far for info.
The reason i dont wont to use the .22-250 boomer is of noise and the fact that it is the VT heavy barrel,version with bipod ect.Plus also their are houses not too far away that i might get complaints from.
If i get a attack on my lambs and chickhens again, i just want to grab the rifle and head out and point and shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif at the pest.
Of course making sure the shot is safe too.
Any photos of the .221 fireball cartrige?
How much more power than the Hornet?
Thanks.

I have a CZ527 American in .221 Fireball and am very happy with it. The Fireball does not seem much louder than a .22magnum but throws the 50 grain plastic-tipped Remington factory loads to 2,900 fps; all very accurately. The test target that came with the rifle showed a 3-shot group that measured 0.375 inches, from 110 yards. Not too shabby! The factory ammo shoots a little bit better than that in my rifle.

The Fireball/CZ gives me: Great accuracy, hard enough hitting to 200 yards, relatively quiet, handy (22" barrel) and light weight (even with 2.5-10 B&L 4200 Series scope). Oh, yes, the single set trigger and detachable box magazine are nice features, too.

You really cannot go wrong with a CZ527, regardless of caliber you choose.

Cheers,

(edited for this: The short cartridge case length of the Fireball permits greater efficiency in a short barrel than a .222 Remington. The muzzle blast is less, too.)

Last edited:
Up To 150 yds..22 Hornet will work..PAST 150 and up to 200 ( little more) .222 is The Choice..It is SUPER Accurate, Very Similar in Ballistic's to the .223 Rifle, and A Joy To Reload..cheap..15 cent's A Round..Coyote Wolf/Colo..They were Benchrest Favorite's for Year's..!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I have a cousin with a .22 hornet. He never seems to try a shot past about a 100 yards with it though. Looking at the ballistics I get the impression it is only a bit better than the .22 Mag. Not my first choice for what you describe. With the longer shoots figured in go with the .222 Remington, I sure like mine.

Looks like .222 is getting all the votes.
I do like the idea of the hornet being quieter than the .222.
Is the .222 a lot more louder or about the same?
Would it be as loud as the .22-250?
My freind is coming over this evening with his hornet,
i shall try it out and see, at different targets.
Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

one thing to be aware of with the CZ is they use a 223 dia bore... you'll be very limited as to the availability of bullets... if I were buying a Hornet I'd make sure it was a 224 bore... not saying it won't shoot a 224 bullet, but if it don't your stuck...

I've never had the chance yet to shoot on a coyote at 200 yards with a Hornet, but I'm shooting ground hogs to 250 yards with mine and getting good results... have shot fox to near 200 yards and no problem there... the big thing is they are quiet...

as for that fellow talking they're not much better then a 22 mag... you sir have no experience with a hornet if you think that... when a mag gets near 2900fps with any bullet, much less a 40gr V-max then it'll be close...

Thanks Leroy.
I tryd out the CZ 527 .22 Hornet yesterday and was very impressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Hardly any noise, compared to the .22-250 and very handy to shoot.
Looks like i will be getting one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif.
The rifle grouped 1 and a half inches at 200yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
Plenty for what i need, as the yotes tend to come right up to the house the odd time and most of the time up to 100 to 150yds, maximum being, 200.
I will be getting one soon and will be toping it with a Bushnell mildot scope.
Watch out coyote chikhen theaf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks everyone for your input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

I have kiled a coyote out at 150 yards and got a bang/flop. The bullet went all the way through and hit just where I was aiming. I have never shot a .222 so im not saying pick the Honet over hte .222. I was just wanting to tell ya about the performance im getting out of my Hornet shooting Remington 45gr soft and hollow points.

Thanks Deerhunter.
This has made me feel great about going for the hornet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Fox,
The hornet is a great little round when used properly. And I really can't think for a better factory gun to buy it in. You are going to have a lot of fun! Keep us posted.

Back