.17 Hornady Hornet vs .204 Ruger on fox

greengt88

Debating trading my Savage 12FCV .204Ruger for a Ruger M77/17 Hornet.
Wondering which is the better round for foxing.
Pelt damage is a concern as i plan to mount the nicest fox i get this year and sell the rest.
Maximum shot range is about 300yds, most shots are between 75-200yds.
I DO NOT reload and must rely on factory ammo.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

there is no choice if you are trying to save fox. 17 hornet is about as good as it gets for little tiny animals like fox

Buy the CZ. Obviously, I'm a fan. However, my 17 hornet is a Ruger. I'm out $700 for the gun, $50 in bedding supplies, $200 for a new chamber and $60 to cut the tool marks out of the muzzle end and re crown. It shoots under an inch now with factory 20 gr.

My girlfriends is a CZ, bought the same day. It shot about 5/8" the first day and has ever since.

I've never seen a firearm leave the factory in such bad shape. No love for Ruger here.

I have the Savage 25 Walking Varminter in 17HH. After about 50 rds, it found it's groove and is very accurate. I drilled a jack rabbit at 150 yds off hand. With the exception of a little red entry wound, there was no damage.

If i trade my savage for the ruger, and the ruger doesnt shoot, what is a good resale value on it?
My gut has been telling me to get the CZ 527 Varmint. I imagine the resale on the ruger is high enough to purchase a CZ. ][/url]

This is said ruger, beautiful rifle. Never had a ruger rifle other than 10/22.

Back