coyote decoy at night

cooner3

Do any of you have any experience using a coyote decoy at night? Do you think they see it well from a distance? Does it scare off the smaller coyotes? My main hope is that it will bring in some of them that hang up three or four hundred yards out.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Type in "decoy at night" in the PM search engine at the top of the page. Lots of posts on the subject.

Last edited:
I personally think decoys are a waist of time day or night, one more thing to carry.. Maybe is a Mass. thing but I have watched coyotes come in and look at the Mojo, Jack in box, turn and run many times.

Originally Posted By: cooner3Do any of you have any experience using a coyote decoy at night? Do you think they see it well from a distance? Does it scare off the smaller coyotes? My main hope is that it will bring in some of them that hang up three or four hundred yards out.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I personally think they are worth using. Animals look for relative motion when hunting and I consider it a hit and miss type thing just like whatever call you are using. It's possible that your local geography and food source might be a factor regarding how effective it would be in the field. Baystate sets up on snow a lot and most of the time my decoy is partially hidden in grass so it would be a different look for the coyote.

As stated above I have seen them charge in and run a circle around the decoy and take off. I also had one setup where I stepped out of a wood line to set up my caller and decoy and when I got back to my stand there was a coyote already headed to the decoy before I had even turned on the caller.

It's been my experience that they work very well for bobcats also. Cats are curious creatures and I have had 2 bobcats come to the call and sit down about 10 yards from the decoy. Both times they just sat there looking around and staring at the decoy...... One night i was laughing so hard I almost spooked the cat.

As a side note I have tried using the light on my caller a few times and my thoughts now are to not use the light at all even on darker nights. There are not many rabbits running around with lights.....just a thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cooner3Do any of you have any experience using a coyote decoy at night?

not 100 percent sure, but i think he is asking about a decoy that looks like a coyote?

Thanks Slicker. I apologize for not being clearer in my question. I do indeed mean the decoy that looks like a coyote. If they work, I can see that happening in the daytime. I am wondering if they will work at night.

I don't have a coyote decoy ( yet ) but would certainly be trying it if i did. Just like every aspect of this sport, go with what you feel like at the time.

Originally Posted By: cmatera Had one. Got rid of it. Waste of time. If you must, a feather on a string/stick is as good as any.

+1

A feather on a string with a 3' rod works wonders!

Day or night!

Yes decoys work at night. I use the foxjack decoy with the blackjack topper. My theory is the motion of the decoy dosnt necessarily attract predators, but the color white stands out in the dark. Ive killed a bobcat with the decoy and caller turned off! It was one of the most intense stands of my life watching the cat slowly stalk the decoy! It works with raccoons too! Cats and coons are naturaly attracted to bright or shiny objects, so using. something like a white feather or tin can lid would work great for a homemade, night decoy.

I have used a coyote decoy during full moon at bait sites. The coyote will come in posturing,but the decoy needs to be directly upwind so you have a shot before they wind your scent from placing the decoy. My bait setup was out in the open on snow. I believe the decoy with lone howls will bring the coyotes, that have been to the bait, in earlier.

Back