6x45 build with AR-Stoner Barrel

The 6x45 is a great cartridge in my opinion. I got a complete AR from Mike at Dtech a few years ago. I love it. The cartridge is a great coyote dropper, and is suitable for deer as well. I have taken two deer with it using a 75 gr. Sierra HP. It penetrates really well at 6x45 velocities.

Enjoy your new toy and be sure to keep us posted with some nice photos and hunting stories.

I have the AR Stoner 20" 6x45 barrel and it is every bit as good as the BHW 6x45 barrel I had a few years ago. If anything it is better. From the beginning the AR Stoner barrel has been accurate and reliable. I had no issues with assembly. The only negative is the odd size muzzle threads. I used an A2 Flash Hider from Alexander Arms. I can recommend the barrel.

Copy%20of%20IMG_4166%20Medium_zpsf6luhaxa.jpg

Last edited:
I have used 2 AR Stoner Barrels on 6X45 and 300AAC. Both were well made and accurate and required very little lapping to polish them up. I have also had Danny at Classic Barrel & Gun Works re-bore and cut rifle a barrel for another 6X45 build. Just got it installed and have yet to fire it. I'll try to post a range report and comparison of the two at some point in the future.

I used an AR Stoner for a 6.5 Grendel. The barrel was plenty accurate, but had problems with cycling. After 10 shots the shells failed to eject. After another 5 they failed to extract and could only be removed with a cleaning rod. I hit up some forums for help and got a bunch of recommendations to replace a bunch of parts. I finally sent it back to Midway. They gave me a full refund but since I was past 60 days, I could only get store credit. I ended up getting a Shilen from them. It shoots great and cycles properly.

I think you should try to the AR Stoner barrel. If it works well, you're set. But if it doesn't work well, don't wait more than 60 days to return it if you think you want to replace it with a barrel from someone besides Midway.

Max load of AA2015 (will vary some per barrel) and 70 grain Sierra Matchkings or Nosler BT's interchanged. SMK's were a little bit more accurate but I tried to use the Noslers for hunting because the fragmented better.

Love my 6x45. Quickly becoming my favorite AR caliber for many of the reasons already mentioned; cheap brass, same parts as a 5.56, accurate as they come, and it just flattens coyotes. Still love my Grendel, but act like a Black Friday shopper when I can't find my spent brass.

Back