Respect for Les Johnson

FairChase93

I got to witness something truly special this weekend. In my home town the local game warden and the volunteer fire department put on a youth coyote hunt for kids 16 and under. Les Johnson and Predator Quest were on hand and major sponsors for the event. Apparently the local game warden had emailed Les looking for donations and Les emailed back and said he would not only donate prizes he would show up, give a demonstration and take a kid hunting the next day.

Friday night at sign up each kid received a Predator Quest youth call and a decal. Les and his camera guy had some of his predator quest merchandise for sale and Les was more than happy to talk to anyone who had questions about anything. Later on in the evening one of Les' prostaffers showed up as well. After everyone was signed up Les gave a demonstration to the kids on how to set up, what to watch for, and how to use their calls. Then his prostaffer Matt and his kid gave a few demonstrations as well. The big excitement of the night was when 2 kids won the chance to hunt with Les and Matt the next day.

The day of the hunt conditions could not have been worse 91 degrees 30 mph South wind and a full bright moon the night before. There were not many coyotes killed but it was a fun and enjoyable day. Saturday night at check in prizes were awarded for biggest coyote, smallest, longest tail, shortest tail, most coyotes killed for 12 and older and most killed for 11 and under. There were a ton of door prizes and 4 rifles given away as well. Perhaps the most memorable moment was when Les gave his personal shotgun to the young girl who had been hunting with him that day.

I know I've missed some details and I could write for days about this event but I just can not say enough how much respect I have for Les Johnson and his Predator Quest crew. The way they conducted themselves, they're generosity, and the general joy they gave these children was truly amazing. We know we were lucky to have them on hand and it was not easy for them to make this work with their schedule. I was already a fan but after this event I have a different view and a different respect for Les. It perhaps was something you had to be on hand to fully grasp but it just felt like they took true pride in what they were doing. I just felt like people should hear about this event and after seeing the 78 kids fall in love with the sport the future is in good hands!

I should also add that our game warden has went above and beyond the last few years. He's not just out to ticket every hunter out and about. He has donated a ton of his own money and time over the last few years on numerous other projects. He genuinely cares about the hunting and fishing community and especially the youth.

Very cool. Its great to hear a rite up like this, it gives hope for the next generation of hunters. Im all for getting kids outside and away from TV and tablets. Les sounds like a stand up guy, as well as all of you folks that took part in this. Good Karma is coming your way! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Love to watch his shows and have bought some of his products. Fantastic that he would help to further a great sport by helping our young people/hunters get a start in the right direction. He appears on his programs to deeply love this sport, as many of us do.
And as said above, a big thanks to the local warden, taking his time out to help with a great project such as this.

That is awesome! I always liked watching his show and it is good to know that he is genuinely a good guy. That is going above and beyond to pass on the tradition as well as make those kid's, and everyone involved, day. Good on the conservation agent to put things like this together too. When they become really involved in community it really gives them a lot of credibility with the general public. My brother is an agent and he is very active in the community and does youth hunts, trapping and shooting days, teaches them how to fish, etc. as well as puts on wounded warrior hunts...makes me proud to call him my brother.

We need more people like Les and your local agent. Thanks for sharing!

That is awesome to hear! It's great to see one of the well known Predator hunters get so involved with the youth hunters! Les is definitely at the top of the list of professional hunters that I'd love to hunt with someday.

Great job and thanks to you and your local game warden for putting together such a positive event for the sport.

That's a great cause and Les showed he's a class act by donating and showing up.
thumbup1.gif

The game warden is also a class act.

Very cool of all involved to put on a great event for the kids! My hats off to them and the lasting impression I'm sure they made on the kids.

I have had the pleasure of communicating with Les via email. He has always answered my questions and of all the Coyote hunting DVDS I have his are top notch!

As a matter of fact my very first ever hand calls are still in the collection.

Critter Call's - And look what shows up, another Wyoming Coyote:)

Great job Mr. Johnson, The local Game Warden and Matt!

HUNT OF THE MONTH!!

Sounds like the Fire Department, game warden and LES all needed to be THANKED for putting on a great youth hunt. Who donated the rest of the prizes? 4 rifles?

John

Les is def one of the good ones. I learned from his shows, and still do. I own some of his calls and they work well. He has done a lot for the sport and a lot of people. Thanks Les.

Back