What's this blade profile called?

Ah - I was wondering why it wouldn't post as a picture, and only copied as a link.

Awesome%20Blade%20Profile_zps7wkhitke.jpg

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorAh - I was wondering why it wouldn't post as a picture, and only copied as a link.

Awesome%20Blade%20Profile_zps7wkhitke.jpg

That's a Tracker pattern. Lots and lots of stuff on forums and blogs on how useful or not they are.

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsThat's a Tracker pattern. Lots and lots of stuff on forums and blogs on how useful or not they are.

Awesome!Thanks!

Like I said in my first post on this, I'm really not sure whether I think it'd make a useful knife or not, the segmented edge with the set-back belly just doesn't seem really functional - wasted blade length. I'm sure some folks might consider that an advantage for "chopping" since you'd have extra weight in the head of the knife, or maybe for cutting cord, since that part of the blade would be protected during general use, but overall, neither of those "advantages" strike home to me.

But they sure look amazing to my eye. I'll probably have to buy one for myself soon.

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsI've thought the same. Google "Tracker Pack" for a huge thread on Bushcraftusa

HaHa,,,, we were posting at the same time.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorWell [beeep]... Now I'm almost turned off of the idea, lest I become guilty by association of being a nutjob...

If you want one go ahead and get it.
We already think you're a nutjob.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nutjob?

The WSK is a profile with a lot of thought put into it. The rear portion was designed to be a draw knife while the front portion designed for chopping (with plenty of belly for skinning). I've used one but personally I seem to do just as well with a more traditional styled blade. Where the WSK really shines is the quarter round. It can be used similar to a gut hook when skinning and it makes curls when starting fires without even really trying. Seriously, compared to other knives using the quarter round to get fires started feels almost like cheating haha

I guess I'd look closer at the design if I was going for a one tool option. The fact is I dont own one and the tools I have work well for me, when I tried it (borrowed from a friend for a few weeks) it wasn't amazing enough for me to want my own but it was apparent how much thought went into the design.

I have nothing against them but I can tell you that would be the last knife I'd want for gutting or skinning big or small game.

Seems like it'd be a God-awful heavy blade for skinning, and I can't personally say it makes sense to me to use the same blade for 'processing' wood and skinning game. I like a sharp, fine edged blade for flesh, and a broader wedge-edged blade for processing wood, never the two shall meet.

I spent a lot of time running axes and hatchets - largely just because I enjoy it - and a lot more time in a year running a chainsaw. What does this blade do that a hatchet doesn't do better? I've skinned out deer with a hatchet before, (opened up a doe that cost me a new radiator, and all I had in the truck was a hatchet) seems like this blade would be better than that, but not as good at processing wood - and it'd lack a hammer, which I end up using my hatchets for, a lot.

But it looks cool...

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorSeems like it'd be a God-awful heavy blade for skinning, and I can't personally say it makes sense to me to use the same blade for 'processing' wood and skinning game. I like a sharp, fine edged blade for flesh, and a broader wedge-edged blade for processing wood, never the two shall meet.

I spent a lot of time running axes and hatchets - largely just because I enjoy it - and a lot more time in a year running a chainsaw. What does this blade do that a hatchet doesn't do better? I've skinned out deer with a hatchet before, (opened up a doe that cost me a new radiator, and all I had in the truck was a hatchet) seems like this blade would be better than that, but not as good at processing wood - and it'd lack a hammer, which I end up using my hatchets for, a lot.

But it looks cool...

That pretty much mirrors my thought cept I don't even think it looks cool.
Never understood "processing" wood with a knife but it's sure popular with the bushcraft/survivalist crowd.
To each his own but give me an axe for chopping and a knife for cutting.

Back