Model 70 Coyote Light .22-250 Picatinny Rail SA or WSSM Verification

MJS1977

I had a Nikon scope with leupold bases on the gun mentioned above. In February I bought a nightforce 20 moa picatinny rail for a short action Winchester model 70. Due to not having a lot of time or ambition to mount the new base and scope, I finally unmounted the old scope and bases tonight.

I went to test fit the new rail and quickly realized that the holes don't line up. I thought I did enough research prior to buying the rail to avoid this issue but I didn't.

I did read a review that on the original .22-250 coyote, not the the "lite", that Winchester used a wssm action instead of a short action.

Can anyone verify that a wssm action was used on this gun before I blow some more money? Im hoping my local gun shop will still exchange the base despite purchasing it February.

That's exactly what I thought should fit and that's the model I purchased, A198. The rear holes line up but the front holes aren't even close. I read on a review that a guy had the same problem with a coyote .22-250 and he needed a wssm. Should I call nightforce or Winchester? I guess I could measure the distance between the holes in the action prior to buying.

Last edited:
Back