Stockys Long Range Composite Stock- quick review/pictures

pyscodog

Big Brown just dropped of the new Stocky's stock. After digging through a ton of paper, I finally got it out of the box. The box looked pretty rough but the stock was unharmed. First appearance, looks pretty good. (Resembles an A-5 with the vertical grip.) The aluminum bedding block looks like excellent quality. The donor rifle is a Remington varmint 223 heavy barrel. The stock has a spacer in the barrel channel that can be removed for ultimate floating of the barrel. Which I did. After removing the old stock, the barreled action dropped right into the new stock with plenty of room in the barrel channel. The trigger guard fit very snug but not tight. No force was needed. It even came with new stainless screws. Removing the spacer in the barrel channel open the channel pretty wide and will accept a pretty good size barrel. I was worried about flex in the fore arm. Didn't seem to effect that at all, nice and stiff like it needs to be. If I had to find a con, it would have to be the stock is pretty slick. Some may want to texture the grip area which I may do in the near future along with some custom paint, probably Krylon. All in all, for $199.00 and shipping, its a pretty nice stock. I may buy another for my 22-250AI.
Now for a range trip and maybe a future update. I don't do pictures, just haven't the patience to figure it out. Sorry!

Last edited:
Looks like we have about the same view on the stock. I find the verticle grip and palm swell to fit me perfect. I also like how the forend tapers down towards the end. Mine is on a sporter barrel and have plenty of clearance all the way around

Don't know if it was the new stock or the different loads I shot today but there was a dramatic difference in group size. I'm liking it. And, it getting a paint job right now, should tighten the groups up a little more.

(If someone wants a pic, I can send it via cell phone and they could post it for me.)

Last edited:
pics of pyscodog's rifle!

12027753_10204586626538207_106620963054278308_n_zpsl7jt5cas.jpg

12015009_10204586619498031_6892526470999099168_o_zpsy5vjri7a.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kyyotestalkerpics of pyscodog's rifle!

12027753_10204586626538207_106620963054278308_n_zpsl7jt5cas.jpg

12015009_10204586619498031_6892526470999099168_o_zpsy5vjri7a.jpg

Thanks again kyyotestalker for posting. Pictures are the Stocky's Long Range Composite sttock and my attempt to do a Kryptec paint job. First attempt, hope to get better at it.

Psycodog any idea of the overall weight there? And that's one of the better looking paint designs I've seen. Good job. To bad they don't make that stock in a detachable mag setup too.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyPsycodog any idea of the overall weight there? And that's one of the better looking paint designs I've seen. Good job. To bad they don't make that stock in a detachable mag setup too.

I don't know the weight, but it is a heavy stock. I think the shipping weight was about 3 1/2 pounds. I'll try to get a weight and let you know. I do know he little 223 don't move the rifle very much. Barely notice recoil at all. Thanks for the comments on the paint. It was my first attempt. I'm kinda liking it too!

Mine got its base coat for the camo job today. I ordered a detachable mag system for it lastnight. So hopefully I'll get to hunt with it this week as I have 8 days off

Kwik klip. I had one on a custom rifle Benchmark built me and I really liked it. Have a choice of 4 rounds of 10 rounds. They are half the price of most and will do as intended

Last edited:
It is an interesting concept, especially for that kind of money. How's the weight distribution? One thing I never really liked about the H-S handles on Rem Varm contours is that that the back of the stock weighed so little. They rifles were always rather barrel heavy, whereas laminated stocks like the VLS gave much better balance due the heavy butt-end. How's this new stock? Any weight at the rear?

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Mine has a sporter barrel and it feels but heavy to me which I kind of like. I'll eventually have a little heavier barrel on it

Yotehunter, any chance you could throw a picture up? I'm thinking about one of these stocks for a sporter weight 243 build until it gets a new tube somewhere down the line. Any idea how this compares to a McM gamescout?

Last edited:

This is very similar to the gamescout as far as design. Quality there is no comparison. The stockystocks is a nice stock and serves its purpose 100% and feels awesome but it's nowhere near the McMillan or Manners. This gun is a working gun that will soon be rebarreled. But for $200 compared to $$600+ I'd buy another of these and not think twice.

Back