Montana Coyote Hunting

Originally Posted By: jcs271I think land ACCESS will be the biggest issue for you on the east side of the state. You definitely need to make some contacts with landowners before you go. The west side is a totally different story, national forest land everywhere. The down side is that hunting in the deep woods where 100 yards is a looooong shot is not everybody's idea of a good time. And truck access may be an issue due to snow/road conditions. There are plenty of coyotes here, just two very different types of access and hunting. Good luck!

Most of the eastern half of the state in walk in hunting as well. We are not allowed to take anything off of trails here (not even my 4 wheeler) so all the hunting I do is on foot.

Originally Posted By: ctcoyoteThanks Guys to all your reply,
Like I said I was thinking Billings but that can very well change,
I have been researching the BLM maps and state land and I know there is plenty of that.
I know mid December can be bad or good,thats One thing what I can't predict.
Snow,Mud,Yes I am very aware of that,thats way I am asking what would you guys say and hear you all.
Also another place for me to land is Helen.
Yes I will rent a truck at the airport and go from there.But public land doesn't allowed a night hunting,and I do really like to do that if that would be possible.I guess only why to get in is to knock on some doors,correct?
Thank you again

Ive never heard of the no night hunting rule on BLM land. Might be a out of state thing?

I use all paper maps. There is a GPS chip you can get, but I have not had the money to buy a GPS yet. depending on exactly where you are going, I probably have the maps for the area and you are welcome to borrow them.

Originally Posted By: Sierra_HunterI use all paper maps. There is a GPS chip you can get, but I have not had the money to buy a GPS yet. depending on exactly where you are going, I probably have the maps for the area and you are welcome to borrow them.
I am planning around Vinnett area,so I think thats the region 5,so I will have to get a Block management maps,and BLM,maps
But here is what I found on Fish and Game webs.
Night Hunting

Harvesting coyotes is restricted to 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset on public ground. Night hunting is legal on private property with permission from the landowner.

So BLM is consider as?public,private?

Not sure where you got the night hunting information. But its incorrect. That only pertains to game species. Coyotes are an un regulated species in MT. You can use pretty much anything to kill one. There are special regulations on the CMR refuge, but the rest of the state you can night hunt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ctcoyoteOriginally Posted By: Sierra_HunterI use all paper maps. There is a GPS chip you can get, but I have not had the money to buy a GPS yet. depending on exactly where you are going, I probably have the maps for the area and you are welcome to borrow them.
I am planning around Vinnett area,so I think thats the region 5,so I will have to get a Block management maps,and BLM,maps
But here is what I found on Fish and Game webs.
Night Hunting

Harvesting coyotes is restricted to 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset on public ground. Night hunting is legal on private property with permission from the landowner.

So BLM is consider as?public,private?

BLM is public. I will have to keep that in mind. I usually night hunt on private anyway since I can drive my 4 wheeler out and use a spot light.

Originally Posted By: phutch30Not sure where you got the night hunting information. But its incorrect. That only pertains to game species. Coyotes are an un regulated species in MT. You can use pretty much anything to kill one. There are special regulations on the CMR refuge, but the rest of the state you can night hunt.
That is what my impression had been.

Originally Posted By: phutch30Not sure where you got the night hunting information. But its incorrect. That only pertains to game species. Coyotes are an un regulated species in MT. You can use pretty much anything to kill one. There are special regulations on the CMR refuge, but the rest of the state you can night hunt.

Thank you for your info,
I better look into it,So you saying that on BLM Lands I can hunt coyotes year round 24/7?
if thats correct than I am very happy.

All you need to shoot coyotes in Montana is a conservation license which is like 10 or 15 bucks, and then you can kill coyotes by just about anyway imaginable.

[/quote]

Thank you for your info,
I better look into it,So you saying that on BLM Lands I can hunt coyotes year round 24/7?
[/quote]

yes 24/7 along with everything else classified as a state identified predator and yes on night hunting on BLM. Again the some of the wildlife refuges have differet regs. The CMR doesnt allow electronic calls not sure about shooting hrs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: phutch30[/quote]

Thank you for your info,

yes 24/7 along with everything else classified as a state identified predator and yes on night hunting on BLM. Again the some of the wildlife refuges have differet regs. The CMR doesnt allow electronic calls not sure about shooting hrs[/quote]

I"ll be hunting BLM and Block Management so I think I am all set.
Guys THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

So it's official,
First week in December I''ll be at MT for a 4 days.
Flying to Billings and then driving 2-3 hours north east.
Hope the weather will be on a better side and coyotes running.
I'll post some pictures

Good luck out there! I have the xmaps layover for Google earth and I want to say it was like $40.But anyways if I was planning a hunt in unknown country,I usually get on Google earth and find some good areas that have high ground,water, etc.. and try to map out a route for good sets/day.Pretty sure you are already doing this,but anyway the xmaps layover for Google earth will show you all your plats and make sure your not on private ground or a reserve etc..
I have ran into owners who "think" and tell you are on private ground and try to run you off.always good know.
Good luck,post a report!

Last edited:
Yes,I did purchase a xmaps already for Montana,thats the way to do it and on top of that also got paper maps from BLM.
I will for sure post a report.

Back