Brass catcher

Even on a slick side charging upper without the dust cover to hold onto reb's brass catcher? I just swapped one of my forged uppers to a Gibbz Arms (same as NFA/Joebob's) and didn't think it would work...great news if it does!

You are correct that the door is not necessary, but it does help to keep the catcher better positioned, especially when empty.

Since my 243WSSM has no door, and the heavier case exits rather vigorously, the catcher would occasionally flip up just enough to miss the first round.

I resolved that problem with a short piece of elastic, fastened to front lower corner of the catcher with a safety pin. Catcher has been 100% since that minor fix. Catcher worked flawlessly without the alteration on my 223's; wouldn't hunt without one.

Edit to add: An added benefit to the brass catcher on "doorless" AR's, is they work great to keep leaves & dirt out of action. I hunt in a very dusty environment and often wade through some fairly heavy brush which can collect on bolt carrier w/o the door.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Back