Coyote Down With Home-Made NV

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Simojo,

Did you send me an e-mail? If so I didn't get it.

Yes, to your profile email. PM me your current email and I'll send you some info.

Originally Posted By: TyrodI am surprised more people are not using this setup. Night vision without the high price.....?

The first such device I ever saw was one marketed in the UK. It sold for around $1,000 US at the time. Since then there have been a host of copies or modified versions. Seems that more and more people are learning about it now.

I consider the home-made unit a great setup for shooting from a stationary position, like I do for coyotes over bait. It would be a great unit for hog hunting over bait as well. The unit can be used out and about for calling and such, but it will just require a bit more care in carrying it, making sure to not catch it on branches and such that might break it off. AS well, there's the 12-volt power source to consider, wires and such, but with a bit of use, it gets easier.

Here are some more examples. The first view of the possum is with a 12mm lens. I later went to a much better 16mm one.

Below are some videos I did while using the EJ-230 as a scanner only and with the 16mm lens (not behind the daytime scope).
I have considered mounting a bullet camera on the outside wall of the cabin, running the wires inside and attaching them to a
monitor mounted on the inside wall. That way I would have a good field of view of the bait site area - and could also record via
the mini DVR.

I may take a beating from some Night Vision guys, but I will say this, after having looked through a dedicated Gen 1 and
Gen 2 scope, a Photon XT digital and a Gen 3 PVS-14, that this little bullet camera (with illumination of course) rivals
the best of them. The Gen 3 was very nice, specifically without illumination, but the EJ-230 is on it's heals and I could
actually see better with the bullet camera than with the Gen 2 scope.

Back