Good Shoot??

azmastablasta

A wise man once said "We judge ourselves by our intentions. Others judge us by our actions." "Good" in terms of allowable. "Good" as a measure of accuracy... not so much. Police fired 42 rounds into the vehicle and those two aholes made it out alive?

See police open fire on car that backed into state trooper after chase
By Gary Ridley on September 22, 2015 at 5:30 AM

FLINT, MI -- A Flint man will stand trial on charges he led police on a pursuit that ended only after he and his passenger were shot by Michigan State Police troopers.

John Francis Gallop was bound over Monday, Sept. 21, on multiple charges, including assault with intent to murder, after a July 16 police chase left him and his passenger with multiple gunshot wounds.

The entire incident was captured on police dashcam, which was obtained by The Flint Journal through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Michigan State Police Trooper John Faucette testified he was patrolling near Camden and Pettibone avenues where he allegedly saw a Buick Rendezvous traveling roughly double the 25 MPH speed limit.

Faucette said he attempted to stop the vehicle but the vehicle fled. Faucette and his partner pursued in their State Police cruiser.

A second Michigan State Police cruiser joined the pursuit, which proceeded to the area of Hammerberg and Atherton roads.

Troopers attempted to disable the suspect's vehicle by spinning it out with their cruiser, but the Buick managed to continue on, Faucette said.

The troopers again used a "precision immobilization tactic" near Raspberry and Greenbrook lanes. Again, the Buick did not stall but Faucette's partner exited their cruiser and attempted to remove the driver from his vehicle, Faucette said.

A trooper from a second cruiser attempted to assist Faucette's partner, but the Buick slammed into reverse and struck the trooper as he was behind the vehicle, Faucette said.

"I thought he was sucked up under the car," Faucette said of the trooper who was struck.

The troopers opened fire on the Buick, until it came to a rest. Police reports obtained by the Flint Journal through a Freedom of Information Act request shows troopers fired 42 shots into the vehicle.

Gallop, who authorities said was driving the Buick, was shot once. Faucette testified they had to use a stun gun to remove him from the car.

Attorney Glenn Cotton, who represented Gallop, said his client was trying to flee the scene, not intentionally harm a police officer.

"He wasn't trying to hurt, or murder or injure anybody," Cotton said.

The Buick's passenger, an 18-year-old Flint man who was not charged in the case, testified that Gallop would not let him out of the vehicle during the pursuit. He was shot five times by troopers.

The passenger said he and Gallop had been drinking prior to the chase.

The trooper who was struck by the Buick suffered a minor abrasion to his hand. The troopers were cleared of any wrongdoing by Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton's office.

Gallop remains in custody on felony charges of assault with intent to murder, second-degree fleeing a police officer, two counts of felonious assault, resisting/assaulting a police officer and malicious destruction of police property.

He faces up to life in prison if convicted.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/09/dashcam_shows_man_allegedly_hi.html

I'm thinking along about the point the officer shot the back window out, he was no longer simply attempting to flee the scene, he knew the officer was back there shooting at him, but he continued to back up and then attempted to flee. At the point the officer opened fire, his story goes out the window.

He may just be guilty of being drunk and dumb as a rock, but ignorance, of the law or simply blatant, is no excuse.

My buddy hit a deer a couple years ago, the deer was wounded in the ditch and my buddy wanted it finished off and have the meat. He called the police and the cop took 9 shots at the deer, I saw the results the next day.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyIs it just me or does it seem like most cops are just bad shots?

Its just you. A paper target standing 10 feet away is a little different than those situations.

They charged him with "intent to murder"... It might be hard to prove "intent"... I don't think it was good to shoot the passenger... Unless you believe in guilty by association...

Handgun rounds are not very effective at penetrating a vehicle and still having enough energy left to take out the occupants inside. I don't think the officers were bad shots, they were just not using the right weapon for the job. If the officers had used their shotguns loaded with slugs, the 12ga slugs would have been a lot more effective in penetrating the vehicle, the occupants would probably be dead, and less rounds probably would have been fired.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyOriginally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyIs it just me or does it seem like most cops are just bad shots?

Its just you. A paper target standing 10 feet away is a little different than those situations.

Just as I thought. So why do cops qualify on paper targets? These professionals should be the best trained gunmen around.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyJust as I thought. So why do cops qualify on paper targets? These professionals should be the best trained gunmen around.
They train on paper targets so LE agencies can show the officer's firearms proficiency. Officers should have more tactical training on other targets too, more often, and have more ammo for practice. However, officers also have to be trained in using their tazers, pepper spray, batons, defensive tactics, and a bunch of administrative stuff. There is a trade off as to how much training they should have and how much time they should spend in the field.

If citizens with CCW permits were required to carry intermediate weapons in addition to a firearm, have to be trained in them, had to explain why they did not use their intermediate weapon in a confrontation, then citizens would have the same guidelines as officers to protect their own life.

Personally, I would like to see officers not have to carry intermediate weapons so they could have more time for tactical firearms training, take more bad guys out of our society, and have the same guidelines as citizens to protect their own life. That will never happen because LE agencies would get sued more often by the bad guys family for a wrongful death then officers would have to carry intermediate weapons again.

Back