johnny stewart ms-512

Dirtpoorhunter

hello im very new to hunting coyotes and i just bougth a johnny stewart ms-512 call from a friend and it is giving me some trouble if there is any one that knows anything about these and would like to help please help. the call is flashing the red light when you put the tape in .i tryed charging it for 24 hours and it will work till you stop or take the tape out if you put a different tape in the light starts flashing and it will not work till you chargeit for a bit . any help is greatly apperciated.

Those are lead-acid batteries, and if they sat around for a while, they go bad. There's probably no way to revive them.

I found you replacment batteries, though, if you decide to invest the money.

ms-512 batteries.

Like it says on that page, measure them and see which type you need before you order.

Last edited:
Certainly measure the batteries and then try to find a single 12 volt battery that will physically fit in the spot.

The 512 has two 6v batteries wired in series to supply 12v for the player. There is no good reason to go that route. With today's batteries you should be able to find a single 12v battery with an equal or greater amp-hour rating that will fit in 512 case.

Search the internet for various battery sources, don't overlook some of the big electronics supply houses like Allied Electronics.

Take your measurements and head to your local farm store, check in the fence charger and coon hunting light area - you'll pay a premium but may make up for it in saved shipping charges.

My 512 needs a battery, too. I may try to make time to find a suitable replacement on-line in the near future. I'll post what I find.

Originally Posted By: JoeF Certainly measure the batteries and then try to find a single 12 volt battery that will physically fit in the spot.

The 512 has two 6v batteries wired in series to supply 12v for the player. There is no good reason to go that route. With today's batteries you should be able to find a single 12v battery with an equal or greater amp-hour rating that will fit in 512 case.

Search the internet for various battery sources, don't overlook some of the big electronics supply houses like Allied Electronics.

Take your measurements and head to your local farm store, check in the fence charger and coon hunting light area - you'll pay a premium but may make up for it in saved shipping charges.

My 512 needs a battery, too. I may try to make time to find a suitable replacement on-line in the near future. I'll post what I find.

You can certainly try as JoeF suggests. But I can save you some time and tell you from first hand experiance you will not find a suitable 12 volt battery to fit in the case of a 512 caller. You will find a couple of different sizes of single 12's that will fit in the space allowed, but the AH rating won't even come close to the 4.5AH to 5AH that the two 6V batts in series provides.

Trying to use a JS 512 cassette caller on a nice cold crispy December morning with one of the smaller 12 volt batts with the lower AH's is a lesson in frustration. There is nothing battery efficiant about those old cassette callers. Nothing digital in those old callers. They flat suck some juice. As designed, the callers using the two 6er's in series worked great and still do today. Trying to skimp here just doesn't work.

Edited to add. If you do decide to do some searching of your own and do happen to find a single 12 that would be or is suitable, please let me know, post a link or something. Thanks.

Last edited:
By your description that you can run it for a while and then put another tape in and it blinks...may indicate that you are putting a fully wound tape in backwards. Those units are auto stop mechanisims that require that the tape be inserted with the loaded spool up upon insertion.

A partially wound tape will advance to the end and then trip the unit off. If you are fully charging it and then inserting the tape in correctly and still getting a blinking light then you have a battery with diminished capacity. The red light will blink at 9.6 volts.

You can call Jesse head at 254.662.2433 and he can tell you what it will cost to have him fully clean, adjust and refurbish that unit with a new battery. He runs the factory authorized Johnny Stewart Service Center here in Waco.

Good points GS.

Also, it's a possibility some of your tapes are gummed up with dirt, dust, grass, weeds and/or other debris (or just old and wore out) making them harder than normal to turn. This will make the red light flash just as it does when it comes to the end of the tape.

I've also owned a few 512's over the years that were kind of picky and I often needed to push the tape in fairly fast and with some authority to get it to work and not have the flashing red light.

doggin, you ain't been diggin hard enough!
laugh.gif

Before I get in to any details let me say that the deals in the link above are a fair price and will save a lot of searching, should be a drop-in replacement, etc.... It is the safe and easy solution to a 512 battery need.

Also, evidently the first 512 I had that I replaced batteries in must have been an early version - it did not have 5AH capacity batteries. The current version I have does - for added emphasis on measure-before-buying.

A quick search turned up 12v 5.4/5.5AH batteries(in an appropriate package size) from BB Battery and Power Sonics, both of those being companies that have been in business for quite some time.

A quick link to the Power Sonics:
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=6210021&MPN=PS-1251FP

To the originator of this post - I'm in need of a 512 replacement battery, as well, so I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. I am going to do some detailed internet searching when I have more time and will be buying a replacement. I'd be happy to share my results here once the battery is received and installed.

I am interested in shaving some weight without giving up too much capacity so I'm going to take my time searching.

Originally Posted By: JoeFdoggin, you ain't been diggin hard enough!
laugh.gif

Before I get in to any details let me say that the deals in the link above are a fair price and will save a lot of searching, should be a drop-in replacement, etc.... It is the safe and easy solution to a 512 battery need.

Also, evidently the first 512 I had that I replaced batteries in must have been an early version - it did not have 5AH capacity batteries. The current version I have does - for added emphasis on measure-before-buying.

A quick search turned up 12v 5.4/5.5AH batteries(in an appropriate package size) from BB Battery and Power Sonics, both of those being companies that have been in business for quite some time.

A quick link to the Power Sonics:
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=6210021&MPN=PS-1251FP

To the originator of this post - I'm in need of a 512 replacement battery, as well, so I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. I am going to do some detailed internet searching when I have more time and will be buying a replacement. I'd be happy to share my results here once the battery is received and installed.

I am interested in shaving some weight without giving up too much capacity so I'm going to take my time searching.

Joe, it ain't got nothing to do with digging buddy. We ain't putting in fence posts or making irrigation ditches.
grin.gif
(my funny for the day)

It's evident you are a guy that doesn't take anothers guys word for something. You like to do a lttle digging of your own just to make sure the other guy ain't blowing smoke. That is a GOOD thing! I do the same. There are way to many guys that take what some yahoo says for granted, believing every word said and taking everything as factual.
crazy.gif

When I saw that you posted a link to a battery and your perceived excitement in finding a single 12 volt replacement battery suitable for a JS512 caller, needless to say I was hopeful, yet optimistic.

After looking closely at the specs of linked battery, Sorry to say Joe, close but no bananner.

I'll let you research the *why* as to why it won't work in the 512. Think of it as a test. hehehe

As an aside from the *why* is the weight. The PS1251 battery you have linked weighs 4.10 pounds. You mentioned an early version and a late version of JS 512 cassette callers. Alot of people don't know that. But yes, that is a fact and the case size is different on the 2 callers and they do require (are able to accomodate) different size batteries.

Just for fun Joe, do you happen to know the combined weight of the 2 batteries in the small cased 512? How about the large cased 512?

The 4.10 pound weight of the single 12 volt PS1251 won't seem all that great if you know the answers to the above questions. Just sayin.

Happy hunting, errr digging to ya.
laugh.gif

Why the games doggin?

If you have information to share, lay it on us.

As I indicated, I did a quick search and I will refine it later. Hopefully others with an interest will do the same.

Can you save us some effort or is this some sort of game?

JoeF said:
Why the games doggin?

No games here Joe. Why do you think it's a game?

As I indicated, I did a quick search and I will refine it later. Hopefully others with an interest will do the same.

Can you save us some effort or is this some sort of game?

Again Joe, no games. I'm TRYING to save you some effort (and money). I TRIED to explain in my first post in this thread that I have put in some time and effort looking for a single 12 volt battery for a 512 caller and have NEVER found one that would work.

I'm trying to tell you that the ps1251 battery that you have a link to won't fit inside the space limitations of a JS512 caller.. NO games, just a fact.

I'm done here. Good luck to ya

Last edited:
Oh the game deal.

It just dawned on me that maybe you asked that because of the questions I jokingly asked about the batteries??????

I dunno if that's it or not, but just to answer my own stupid questions........

The combined weight of the batteries in the small cased 512 weigh.... 1 lb 14oz

The combined weight of the large case batteries weighs.... 3 lbs 13oz

The ps1251 battery weighs.... 4.10 pounds.

You mentioned a possible weight savings by using a single 12 volt battery. Ain't happening here.

As far as the question of why the ps1251 won't fit.

Ok, now I'm done.

I've often pondered trying one these two batteries before, but never did because of the amp hour ratings of them. I do have a small case JS512 here now that needs a battery(s). Not sure which one yet, but I'm going to buy one of these batteries and give it a go.

Both of these are the same physical size and will fit in the space provided inside the caller case..

A *Powersonic PS1228* with a 2.8ah rating. It would likely run the caller a full day, or at least most of it, unless it was an extreamlly cold day.

A *EnerSys Genisis NP3-12*. Rated at 3.0ah

If anybody is thinking about buying one of these batteries, do some price checking at several different places online. Costs were all over the map. I saw a low of just over $15 clear up to $40.

Back