NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Originally Posted By: 22catnew update. i found some of the "red box" of federal 3" #4 buck, with 41 copper platted pellets at 1,100fps. at gander mountain last week and out of my full choke they through a very uniform and even pattern with 15 pellets in 10" circle which was impressive to me with just a full choke. they will now be my go to load as far as factory ammo goes. way better results then the blue box of federal 4 buck i had. i couldn't get them to shoot good at all. i also found the 1 7/8oz lead bb load they make and purchased it but was very disappointed in the patterns with the full choke. i will try them in my turkey choke tomorrow and see how they do although i had rather shoot what shoots good in just a full choke in case i see squirrels or a grouse while out hunting. i also got the 3" 00 buck with the flight control wad with 12 pellets but they did not shoot near as good as there self defense version or my winchester razorback loads but was half the price of the razorbacks

Try the federal flite control with an improved cylinder
It will be tight.

Originally Posted By: leebrownOriginally Posted By: 22catnew update. i found some of the "red box" of federal 3" #4 buck, with 41 copper platted pellets at 1,100fps. at gander mountain last week and out of my full choke they through a very uniform and even pattern with 15 pellets in 10" circle which was impressive to me with just a full choke. they will now be my go to load as far as factory ammo goes. way better results then the blue box of federal 4 buck i had. i couldn't get them to shoot good at all. i also found the 1 7/8oz lead bb load they make and purchased it but was very disappointed in the patterns with the full choke. i will try them in my turkey choke tomorrow and see how they do although i had rather shoot what shoots good in just a full choke in case i see squirrels or a grouse while out hunting. i also got the 3" 00 buck with the flight control wad with 12 pellets but they did not shoot near as good as there self defense version or my winchester razorback loads but was half the price of the razorbacks

Try the federal flite control with an improved cylinder
It will be tight.

Maybe... Mine patterned best from an Improved Modified constriction.

i highly doubt it will tighten it up but i will try it in a modified. i never hunt with improved cylinder but if it looks better with modified then i will go ahead and try it in the improved. in a full choke the razorback load put all 8 pellets in a 8" circle. so did the federal self defense loads. at that same distance with the federal 3" 12 pellet 00buck, i would have needed about a 24" circle to cover all the pellets. i tried the federal 4 buck and my full choke at 60 yards just for curiosity and had 6 pellets in the 8" kill zone but also had a couple of big gaps with no pellets in them around the kill zone. i wouldn't try it at that range unless one bit me and ran off to that distance but 50 and under i believe i am good. i tried the federal lead bb today with my .685 kicks. im shooting a browning bps. and it done a lot better. i had 18 pellets in the kill zone at 40. i got to find my kicks .675 choke next because i feel the pattern has room to tighten up a little more but i feel comfortable with it for 40 yard and under work out of that choke if i don't have any home brews made up or run out of the red box of federal 4 buck. i will also mention that i quit aiming at my targets with the bead and just started pointing my shotgun at the target with both eyes open. like how i shoot at clays and birds and rabbits, now my point of aim is dead on instead of high. if your point of aim is off then this is a method worth trying before going to a scope or red dot or whatever.

i have patterned 5 other load variations that all use that style of wad with improved cylinder, modified and full chokes. all the others shot better with the full, that is why i didn't bother to try different chokes. But i will try it again with modified and improved cylinder. year before last i took some of the fired shells and the components from un-fired shells and loaded some shells with lead t shot thinking the flight control wad would do great for them with the results i had from there personal defense buckshot load but it done terrible. i wish i would have hunted for the red box of 4 buck then and tried it cause what i was trying to make was a pattern with just my full choke like the red box gives me. see i can make my full choke work for squirrels and grouse and stuff while i am out hunting and don't have to swap from a xxfull to a full between walking to my next location. now i am covered from small game to varmints to hogs and bear with just one choke and the capabilities to stretch my shots way out there if i have to. and the winchester razor boar xt through that choke puts all 8 pellets in a 8" circle at 40 yards and that is plenty tight enough for me. that is why i am not that concerned with what the modified or improved cylinder does for the federal 12 pellet buck i purchased. i only bought it cause it was cheaper.

Finally got my hands on some Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB shells, and after much anticipation I am more than pleased with the results. I was skeptical of the flight control wad but I may now be a believer.

___________35 yards, 68 hits_________________50 yards, 60 hits
111DDDAB-03FE-4CC1-8C11-8434FDFD7A16_zpsl1hbkjdc.jpg

The gun is a Remington Versa Max with a flush fit improved cylinder choke & red dot sight. Both were shot at true distances, and the pellets blew clean through 1/4" plywood at 50 yards. The red dot sight was not zeroed for these shells, as only two shells were fired. The targets are 29" X 35" and the circles are 5-1/2".

I was impressed coming from Hevi-shot dead coyote previously, and I didn't want to but I might have to make the switch and see how the Federals work out. I've been told by a few members the federal heavyweight load is 15g/cc and the hevi-shot is 12g/cc, so it should have as good or better range.

Edit: 9-30
Second 50 yard test pattern.
54 hits
545C73BB-ABD8-497C-9F0F-FE11FE984775_zps1rtprd9e.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crittr gittrHey Larue, what's barrel length on your versamax? I just ordered the 22" from remmy today.

22.00", you got the good one. You won't be disappointed.

versa1_zps85da32a9.jpg

Originally Posted By: GCHave you tried any other constrictions yet?
Not yet, everything I've read/seen on flight control said wider is better and I dont have too big a selection for this versamax. I could try full, xtra full or turkey unported. I'd be more interested in trying a cylinder choke. I think the pattern I got with the IC is pretty impressive.

Yeah, it looks good! Some say yea to the open constrictions for the Flite Control, others go somewhat tighter with good results. Some custom choke makers have some pretty tight constrictions for the Flite Control. I had some good results with Flite Control turkey loads with Improved Modified (.025" constriction). We understand that there are no absolutes. You're on the right track, and I'm very interested in your testing. Looking forward to seeing that good looking shotgun posed over some dead coyotes this season!

For comparison, these were my patterns from last year. Same ranges, 35 & 50 yards except with hevi-shot dead coyote T. Choke was a patternmaster code black turkey .665. Had some great luck with this combo.
D94BFF6A-257A-403B-A3DA-8CD56A9A255D_zps3gvlzjkt.jpg
[/URL

Way to go LARUEminati!

Were both of those patterns shot with and IC choke?

I opened up a 3" Federal Heavyweight BB load along time ago and counted 62 pellets in the shell. Did you count 68 pellets on that one pattern?

It is good to see GC's thread going again!

Both Federal patterns were shot with an improved cylinder choke. Only reason being is that it is the widest choke I have for that gun, which has been recommended for that flight control wad. Historically, my gun has only patterned tight with turkey chokes so this is a true testimate as to what that wad can do.

The green targets were both shot with a turkey choke, .665" ID. The bore on my gun is a .735"
I've tried IC, Full, Xtra Full and the turkey patterns the best for the dead coyote T shot.

What's the deal if that flight control wad starts hitting brush 5-10 yards from the barrel? How much will that effect it's downrage accuracy?

You know what will really blow you away if you want tight patterens, federal LE low recoil buckshot loads shot out of cyl bore, everytime i shoot them at some distance i can not believe how tight the patterns are.

Tough to find actual pictures of the Hevi or Federal shot so I figured i'd post some for those of you that may be interested in trying either out.

The Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" shot is on the left. It measures .199" around the band and between .190"-.192" around the smaller part of the pellet. This particular one weighs 11.5 grains.

The Federal Heavyweight Coyote "BB" is on the right. It measures .173" and weighs 10.8 grains.

7E5D72FE-DAB1-4D37-BDF6-CEAE212CA6DF_zps1ezxlicm.png

Heck, while I was at it I figured i'd include pictures of the wad's because I also had questions about that.

On the left is the Hevi-Shot's wad and on the right is the Federal flight control wad.

CEF0D21C-2E5C-4A99-A746-30B3A6E78513_zpsoisnnf1t.png

Back