Bushmaster Threads for Flash Hider

6mm06

I have a Bushmaster 16" M4 A3 that has a flash hider. It appears that it is threaded on and I assume it is. My question is, what is the thread size? Would it be a 1/2x28 that would readily accept a suppressor?

Look at the threads, it may not be cut for a suppressor. Just because it has threads does not mean they are suppressor ready.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Look at the threads, it may not be cut for a suppressor. Just because it has threads does not mean they are suppressor ready.

Elaborate.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: reb8600Look at the threads, it may not be cut for a suppressor. Just because it has threads does not mean they are suppressor ready.

Elaborate.

do not know if this is what he is talking about but i have a couple AR barrels that do not have a thread relief cut where the threads stop and the shoulder is. a suppressor will not screw all the way up tight to the shoulder on those. i use a machined 1/2" shim between the barrel shoulder and suppressor end cap on those. not a crush washer.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: reb8600Look at the threads, it may not be cut for a suppressor. Just because it has threads does not mean they are suppressor ready.

Elaborate.

do not know if this is what he is talking about but i have a couple AR barrels that do not have a thread relief cut where the threads stop and the shoulder is. a suppressor will not screw all the way up tight to the shoulder on those. i use a machined 1/2" shim between the barrel shoulder and suppressor end cap on those. not a crush washer.

Mine does. Or maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying clearly. Here is a pic of a few barrels that are threaded. The can screws all the way to the shoulder on all of them even the ugly one where the threads stop way short of the shoulder. I just removed the birdcage and screwed on the can on the AR barrels.

This is with the can on barrel #1

does your can have a fairly good chamfer or bevel on it? would like to see a close up picture of the can end.

my can will not screw all the way up to the shoulder on barrels that are threaded like you number 1 and 2 pictures.

Most do not have the relief cut. My Rock Rivers did not have them but the one I built with a Black Hole barrel did. My understanding is that without the relief cut the can may not screw up tight to the shoulder.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Most do not have the relief cut. My Rock Rivers did not have them but the one I built with a Black Hole barrel did. My understanding is that without the relief cut the can may not screw up tight to the shoulder.
Understood. So it's a sometimes problem depending upon can. Good info to know.

Originally Posted By: crapshootNot much taper if any at all.

crapshoot, that looks like it does not have a taper, but actually has a slight relief cut in it. that can would probably screw on my barrels that do not have a relief cut. the threads on my can have no taper or relief cut.

to add to the conversation. i had one barrel that i wanted threaded and it measured right at .600 at the muzzle. the smith threaded it and there is enough shoulder that it locks up nice and straight and solid like it should with my can. just from looking at the picture of your can i dont think it would work on this narrow shouldered setup.

hope that made sense.

Back