Montana Coyote Hunting

ctcoyote

Hello Everyone,
I want to say Hello to all of you.
I know it has been here a lot and I did research and read a lot of the posts here and online.
I am planning a coyote hunting trip to Montana of second week in Dec.for a 3-4 days o hunting.I know there is a lot of public ground but I do own a thermal scopes and would love to do some hunting at night,to make my trip more interesting.Could you guys please help me little bit with that.
any guidance will help me.
I do live in CT and I hunt 3 states for dogs around here,NY,MA,CT
Thank you all

I heard a rumor that the wolves are putting a smackdown on the coyotes in Montana, lowering coyote population drastically.
I'm not from there, and I'm sure there's coyotes there, they can never be totally eradicated.
Any confirmation on this?

Haven't heard anything like that.It maybe possible.
Last year I did a trip to Nebraska and all i shot was a mangy coyotes.
This year want to give a try Montana.
Thank you for any info.

Originally Posted By: Inxslung12I heard a rumor that the wolves are putting a smackdown on the coyotes in Montana, lowering coyote population drastically.
I'm not from there, and I'm sure there's coyotes there, they can never be totally eradicated.

No that's nuts...
They may push them out of there areas in the mountains but there is still plenty of coyotes to go around.
You know Montana is the forth Biggest state right. Landing In Billings is a good start BUT you'll need a little more plan than that I think. There is a LOT of public land east of Billings 100 miles or more to the east. North to the Winnett area would be good that's a 150 mile treck too. Maybe a Million acers or more. You need to get some BLM maps and kinda narrow your search a little . Any tract of state ( dnrc) BLM, BOR, Bank head jones, land WILL hold coyotes. Will the come in who knows but I can guarantee you there is coyotes on every square mile hunk of land you land on, just sometimes there not going to come in.
Find some maps and make a plan, the less you drive around the more calling you can do, Just saying.

I think land ACCESS will be the biggest issue for you on the east side of the state. You definitely need to make some contacts with landowners before you go. The west side is a totally different story, national forest land everywhere. The down side is that hunting in the deep woods where 100 yards is a looooong shot is not everybody's idea of a good time. And truck access may be an issue due to snow/road conditions. There are plenty of coyotes here, just two very different types of access and hunting. Good luck!

Theres millions of acreas of open public land in eastern MT. You can start hunting coyotes about 10 min out of the Billings city limits and keep going for sevral hundred miles (with maps)It would be pretty rare to drive more than 30-40 min without running into an accessable public land parcel.

Having said that. MT can be a cold lonely place in mid Dec and towns are well spaced out in eastern MT. You might not see a service station for 50-80 miles or more in some parts.
You break down or get stuck in a snow drift out there and it could be a LONG walk to help. This is a lot different than CT. If your renting a rig better get a higher clearence with good tires and a set of real chains, at least 1 shovel, sleeping bag food etc. The better coyote hunting will usually be a long way from pavement on dirt roads that can drift closed or if theres rain turn to impassable mud in an eye blink.

Thanks Guys to all your reply,
Like I said I was thinking Billings but that can very well change,
I have been researching the BLM maps and state land and I know there is plenty of that.
I know mid December can be bad or good,thats One thing what I can't predict.
Snow,Mud,Yes I am very aware of that,thats way I am asking what would you guys say and hear you all.
Also another place for me to land is Helen.
Yes I will rent a truck at the airport and go from there.But public land doesn't allowed a night hunting,and I do really like to do that if that would be possible.I guess only why to get in is to knock on some doors,correct?
Thank you again

Originally Posted By: jcs271I think land ACCESS will be the biggest issue for you on the east side of the state. You definitely need to make some contacts with landowners before you go. The west side is a totally different story, national forest land everywhere. The down side is that hunting in the deep woods where 100 yards is a looooong shot is not everybody's idea of a good time. And truck access may be an issue due to snow/road conditions. There are plenty of coyotes here, just two very different types of access and hunting. Good luck!

How can I contact some land owners down there?Is there any web with the land owners contact or???
thanks

If it was me Id stick with Billings. Theres way more public land and less pressure in eastern MT than the Helena area. I drive from SW MT to hunt eastern MT every yr....course I do the same thing for Northern MT but IMO your going to be better off with eastern MT then Western MT. Generally more yotes, and less pressure. Once you get away from Billings. Just go in prepared. I'd personally head North and East from Billings and loop back along the ND border.....or fly into ND or SD and do the same thing there. If you can swing it during the week all the better to avoid weekend pressure. Its pretty rare to ask for coyote permission and not get it as long as big game is closed. You can get the Block management books for r5-r6-r7 but you will have to still call the land owners as predators arnt generrally included in the block mangement program albeit most ranchers are more than willing to let you shoot them.

Last edited:
Thank YOu Guys a lot,
Yes I already made a plan.
I will come to Billings and then go north east and hunt a public and Block Management lands.
I do hava a ONE small question,regardless maps,is there any good App what you guys use or everything is paper?
Thank you

If you have a GPS you can get the Xmaps chip for MT, but its $99. I have a dash mount and plug and just run my gps continous. You can also swing into the Billings BLM office @5001 Southgate Drive- Phone: 406-896-5013 or go online and order some maps. Theres a smart phone app available also

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badger126Drive down to Idaho I have plenty of public and private land access lets go!
Idaho?
havent thought about that,how is coyote hunting there?maybe next trip after Montana,which could be in January

Originally Posted By: Inxslung12I heard a rumor that the wolves are putting a smackdown on the coyotes in Montana, lowering coyote population drastically.

I believe that I am too far east for there to be wolfs over this way, but I will say that the coyote population does seem low for the area. I havnt seen one in several months.

Back