Am I asking to much

bc83

I'm trying to work up handle loads for my ar 15 .223 18" wylder mid length gas system 1-7 twist. Been trying 77gr smk using varget & IMR 4895 best group I can get is 3/4 inch at 100 yards like to get 1/2 inch am I asking to much for this setup or is that about right for 18" barrel. I got some other bullets and powder to try. What's your thoughts?

Barrel length doesn't matter. Is the rifle free floated? Bipod, rest, sling or prone?

The barrel may not like that load and the best you get is 3/4. You cannot select a powder/bullet and expect them all to shot XXX group size. I is hard to shoot an AR with consistency without a huge amount of practice.

What sights? 4X or 32X? Iron, dot scope? If you can't see it or have the wrong size aimimg point groups can open up.

Greg

It's got rifle length free float tube with a Bushnell 4.5x18x40mm AR scope on it shooting off bench and sand bags. Got some other bullets and powder to try I'm going to stay after it. It also could be me this is my first AR

Originally Posted By: GLShooter I is hard to shoot an AR with consistency without a huge amount of practice.
Greg

You must have seen me shooting one. I swear I can shoot any of my bolt action rifles better than any of my AR's.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: bc83Yes standard trigger

Bingo!

+1

Quote:eek:r have the wrong size aimimg point groups can open up

Amazing how many folks overlook the importance of proper size of aiming point. As I get older, the more important that is. I have recently gone to a 2" orange square aiming point @ 100 yds, 9-14x scope (depending upon rifle) and "bracket" one corner of the aiming point in the crosshairs. Much less room for sighting error w/that sight picture for me.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: bc83What's a good trigger to use?

BTE will handle it and is an easy drop in. Get with Ritch and he will fix you up.

Greg

The trigger wont change the accuracy of the rifle. With practice there will be no difference from a milspec trigger to a $300 trigger. The spendy triggers just make it easier. I could hold just above .5 MOA and better sometimes with a stock trigger out to 500 yards. Good scope, shooting off sandbags but no rear support.

1-7 twist is a little fast but all my ARs have loved the 69gr SMKs.

I find I can shoot really accuratly using an X as a point of aim, especially on lower powered scopes. Aim small miss small.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: bc83What's a good trigger to use?

BTE will handle it and is an easy drop in. Get with Ritch and he will fix you up.

Greg

+1 (I have two of them)

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerThe trigger wont change the accuracy of the rifle. With practice there will be no difference from a milspec trigger to a $300 trigger. The spendy triggers just make it easier. I could hold just above .5 MOA and better sometimes with a stock trigger out to 500 yards. Good scope, shooting off sandbags but no rear support.

1-7 twist is a little fast but all my ARs have loved the 69gr SMKs.

It will not improve the accuracy of the rifle itself but will improve the ability of the shooter to keep the rifle on target while pulling the trigger. If this was not the case, companies like jewel, timney, shilen would not be in business.

Last edited:
^ I understand. I've also beaten a lot of guns and shooters that had jewels, timneys etc. I run stock AR triggers and stock Savage target accutrigger.

It's about the shooter not the trigger.

Good shooting is 99% mental but mental state is enhanced by confidence in your equipment (including the trigger).
wink.gif
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Good shooting is 99% mental but mental state is enhanced by confidence in your equipment (including the trigger).
wink.gif
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Well said, I have complete confidence that my triggers will set my gun off, I just keep it pointed at the right spot.

Good trigger, good platform and good basics make for top performance. If the platform /rifle isn't up to it all will be for naught. A mediocre rifle, 1.5 MOA, shooting enough groups will eventually do that 0.5 group we are all after. At some point it is an exercise in shooter testing when we have one that's going to shoot small time after time.

Greg

Back