LION Question from a PM Michigan member

I used to live in MI until 2 yrs. ago in Oscoda and we had lion sightings live and on trail cameras but MI DNR still said there were't any lions around. So I personally don't believe them.

I have seen cougar tracks in lower michigan since the 1970's and friends of mine while deer hunting caught glimpes of cougars also during that time.

While I am no where near being an expert on lions, I have read every book, research paper, and forum post I could find over the last 2 years in my so far unsuccessful attempt to harvest one in South Dakota.

I can't speak to any type of "planting" by any game agency. The agencies hurt themselves with a lack of transparency which just breeds more distrust by sportsmen. So who knows what they are really doing.

There is a big difference in 30 lions, and 30 lion sightings or finding of 30 instances of lion sign. proof of 30 separate lions in MI would definitely raise a red flag that something odd is happening.

In terms of why they are always male, I have read 2 separate multi year studies of lions in SD. In each of them, the emigration rate of males was at or near 100 percent . Which means they ALL left to find their own territory because the territory they were born and raised in was already taken by another big Tom. Some went west, some to ND,some south, and some East, but they all left. Females on the other hand often set up within or next to their mothers territory (around half of them?) The other half will emigrate but do not cover nearly the range that a young male will. I can't remember if it is number one or not, but one of the leading causes of death of lions, is other lions. They have to leave to survive, especially males. Once they leave, they will continue to wander until they find suitable habitat and a mate, which there aren't many east of the black hills.

Someone also talked about the fact that all the lions found out east come from SD, I believe that. If you look at google earth and find the black hills and then zoom out...the Black Hills are really one lone island out in the middle of the prairie, and they are really the last jumping off point for lions who emigrate east. I think my theory is confirmed by the contentious fight that has and continues to be waged against the hunting season in SD by the lion advocate groups. These groups WANT the cats to emigrate east and repopulate the east with cougars.

This year I know of 2 females killed or found dead in EASTERN nebraska. One just south of Yankton, SD and one very close to the Iowa border. So it would appear they are moving east but at a much slower rate than their male counterparts.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. There are hundreds of sightings in Michigan with many trail cam pictures, but these sightings are not acknowledged to be a cougar unless tracks, hair samples, scat, are examined by an official biologist. So, eventually the male cougars in michigan will end up killing each other if no females are here. Wolves were planted in michigan, so why not another predator, such as the cougar. Possibly to keep the wolves in check, but I really don't know.

Back