M845 Gen 2 Review

6mm06

Today I received the M845 Gen 2 NV scope that I have had on order for about two weeks. I was able to do a quick review tonight. Here is my initial impression.

In a nutshell, I like it. The red illuminated dot reticle is small and easy to see for some precise shooting at closer distances. The night is very dark tonight. Even a Gen 3 would not see well in the woods behind the house. But, with the LLTL-001 850nm illuminator the view looked really nice out to the 60 yard site and actually further. Without IR I could not see much at all, but I figure that would be expected for a Gen 2, especially on a dark night like tonight. Maybe on a moon lit or starry night I might be able to see somewhat without an illuminator, but that remains to be seen.

At my 94 yard shooting range I could see plenty good enough to drop a coyote in the woods, but the light was a bit more faded since I had the illuminator backed off a bit in order to give a better view. Around 50 to 60 yards it seems to be ideal and a nice view. I think the view will be even better in more open places. My T-20 light, though I haven't yet tried it on this scope, may work fine on medium setting, just guessing.

To get the best view, I had to open up the illuminator to less of a spot since when focused in a tight beam, I can see the squarness of the LED. The home-made unit I have been using requires the light focused tight. There is a little field underneath power lines that run out past my house and the view was very nice with an estimated distance of 50 yards. I think the scope will work well at my 60 yard bait site. The dot reticle is so small that it makes aiming really nice. I consider the scope great for calling back here in the mountains where 75 to 100 yards is generally a long shot, and for closer ranges for raccoons, skunks etc too. The scope has a good field of view but subjects do not appear so distant as I had been thinking they might.

The only downside I see is that an illuminator (850nm) must be used that has a signature and would give away my position, but that is the same with a lot of scopes unless you consider Gen 3 on a good night. The only other negative I see is that there is no picatinny on the scope to mount an illuminator, so it has to be mounted on a rifle. Other than that I'm pretty impressed.

The scope is rather small considering most dedicated NV scopes, and the controls are simple to use. A basic on / off switch is all that's needed to get it going, and by turning the knob further, the dot gets less and less bright. It attaches to a Weaver / Picatinny rail easily and locks into place via the base mount that has two levers on the right side. It's easy to attach and take off a rifle. Whether it will hold zero or not after removing and reinstalling, I'm not sure. I'm hoping it will.

The bellows eye piece remains closed until you put your eye against it with a little pressure, and then it pops open easily to give a view. I wear eye glasses and have been wondering how that might affect me seeing, but I didn't have any issue with it. Also, the eye piece diopter adjusted well to my eyes (which are not very good) while wearing my glasses. Some NV scopes don't adjust well for me and my particular eye sight and I sometimes have to remove my glasses to get a proper focus. The M845 gives me a good focus with my glasses on so I'm very happy with that. The M845 has the usual green NV view, with an illuminated 2 MOA red dot reticle.

The scope is rated up to a .308 which is good to know. Apparently it can take some recoil and should make a great scope on a hog hunting rifle. Everyone said it's built like a tank and it does appear to be pretty sturdy at 46 ounces, even though it doesn't feel very heavy, but heavy enough to have a solid feel. My old Gen 1 scope was much larger and heavier. The M845 doesn't sit up off the bore much more than my daytime scope does, and less than the Gen 1 scope did. Hopefully that will translate into trajectory that I can deal with. The view, even though only 2.8x, seems like a bit more magnification. It may just be an optical illusion but I didn't find the lower mag to be much of a problem for close range work. I was afraid the magnification would just not be enough, but for distances under 100 yards, I shouldn't have any problems provided I can get it sighted spot on for accuracy.

For the money it appears to be a good buy and I like the view better than I did with the digital Photon.

I can imagine how nice the Gen 3 version of this scope is.

Thanks to Vic at TNVC for some good advice.

This is my initial impression of the scope without having tested it when shooting. More to come later.

STAY TUNED FOR FURTHER TESTING.............

Great review and great pics. Welcome to the world of NV. You will kill lots of varmints and predators with that scope.

For folks thinking if 6mm06 purchased the scope from us (we got several IM's), he did not. We sold out of our line last year but my advice is always free to assist here anywhere I can.
smile.gif
The M845 is a great scope I wish L3 (formally Litton) still made new.

Look forward to more testing and Yote killing!

Vic

That is a nice setup for coyotes and a nice night scope for the money and your purposes, and your photos remind me I have a lot of wood to get chopping soon!

I haven't zeroed the scope yet but hope to do that soon.

Today I busted more wood and have more to do. I actually have a pretty good supply for the winter, given that we don't use the fireplace necessarily for heating. It's more of a novelty for snowy winter evenings, although we did burn quite a bit last winter and really did enjoy it. I like the warmth of wood heat.

Good luck on zeroing at night, it should not be very difficult.

I have a Vermont Casting Defiant wood stove that heats the entire house here, wood heat is good!

I use a lot of wood to heat with and this becomes a busy time of year gathering it. I always take a rifle with me to the woods and once in a while it pays off in coyotes.

I used mylar tape to create an IR reflective target. Makes night sighting a bit easier. The wrap they used to put on hard drives works. It really makes my scottish heritage shine if not the IR.

Originally Posted By: 1loboI use a lot of wood to heat with and this becomes a busy time of year gathering it. I always take a rifle with me to the woods and once in a while it pays off in coyotes.

I used mylar tape to create an IR reflective target. Makes night sighting a bit easier. The wrap they used to put on hard drives works. It really makes my scottish heritage shine if not the IR.

For folks looking for some other IR sighting in targets, we have these as well that are extremely helpful. We use these with our training partners at our NV classes. https://tnvc.com/shop/telluric-group-ir-laser-zero-targets/

IR%20Targets_zpsvcvem2g3.jpg

IR%20Laser%20Targets%20Bloom_zps8uiehbhf.jpg

1lobo, good idea with the reflective tape. Last night I placed a regular black bullseye target at about 30 yards just to get an idea. I could easily see it. I'll start out with shooting at closer targets until I get the bullet on paper and then move the target further out. I plan to sight about 60 yards since that's my normal shooting distance. I didn't want to shoot last night and disturb the neighbors so I may have to take it to the farm one night soon for some sighting.

Vic, those sighting targets are pretty neat. I am wondering about whether it's OK to sight in the M845 during the day (with the pin hole cover in place) or to do that only at night. I think I read somewhere, another forum maybe, that you had not recommended using during the daytime. I don't want to damage the scope but also if it's safe then it sure would make it easier for me to sight in during the day and check zero occasionally. Appreciate your thoughts.

No problem doing it with the day cover. Best when the sun is getting low for better precaution. Remember though with the day cover on you will not be able to focus at distance, so short range of 25-40 yards will see best. You can get on paper during the day, then when completely dark you can remove the day cover for final zero.

Waiting till evening is good advice. That's when I sighted in my PVS-4. The pinhole cover really helps for that time of day. At least it did on the pvs-4 I would expect the same results on the mk845. That's a pretty nice looking scope, by the way. Congratulations on your choice. I think I read somewhere that the Gen 3 tubes had some interference issues that might cause issues in that setup, so going gen 2 shows good sense.

Vic you should know of any Gen3 tube issues. Is what I reference valid or something that I heard wrong?

I like that red dot in the mk845. Beats the pvs-4 reticle that I have by a country mile.

Tonight I sighted in the M845. I got on paper just before dark at 30 yards, and then did some final shooting at 60 yards after it got dark and with the illuminator.

It seems the turrents are very sensitive. One click makes a big difference, but then I am dealing with a dot reticle and only 2.8x mag. Still, I had the scope on sand bags and it looked good when I shot. I would have figured the bullet impact would have been a bit closer on one click.

Results showed in #1 that when I corrected up one click, the bullet impact moved 2.5" up from the bottom impact, and when I corrected back down one click, it went 1.25" that time. The final adjustment has the bullet impact at .75" above center bullseye for reasonable coyote accuracy - if it will continue at the same POI. The windage adjustment from right to left doesn't seem to be as sensitive. The initial impact was just slightly right of center as you can see with three shots on the paper, but one click left moved it just about right.

My view of the target at 60 yards was very good. I just wish the scope had finer adjustments.

Now to do some varmint testing with the 60 gr. V-Max loads that I sighted in tonight.

Just curious to know if that front sight gets in your view. I've seriously considered wacking the top off of mine as I want to continue with the sling mount. Seems kinda harsh to wack the sight, so I've never done it, but it definitely gets in my scope view. That coarse adjustment is not to my liking, but a little shimming might be in order as a work around.

1lobo, the high front site doesn't appear in the view. I too was thinking about that before I attached the scope, but it's not a problem. I can't see it at all. CORRECTION: Upon further observation, I can see the front sight, but it isn't so obtrusive as to matter.

I was under the impression that the M845 had finer adjustments, but the impact sure does move quickly with one click.

Because they were designed to shoot people in combat, not varmints.

Dave
I had one and loved the field of view for hard charging dogs,my best way for sighting in was with day cover on and a 8" black circle at 100 yards, then turn down the reticule power to its lowest setting, best I could get was 2" groups. But for night work that is good.Another tip is check your zero every week if your humping the unit from stand to stand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEBecause they were designed to shoot people in combat, not varmints.

Dave
I had one and loved the field of view for hard charging dogs,my best way for sighting in was with day cover on and a 8" black circle at 100 yards, then turn down the reticule power to its lowest setting, best I could get was 2" groups. But for night work that is good.Another tip is check your zero every week if your humping the unit from stand to stand.

Yes Sir, absolutely correct. They were originally made from then Litton (now L3) for the Israeli Army.

Vic

I'm not liking the scope's adjustments. Last night I sighted at my cabin at 60 yards as seen in Target #2. First shot was pretty high
from my previous sighting behind my house at 60 yards. Tonight I shot one time (#1), then clicked down one time each for the next three shots..
The scope then began to act like a normal scope with fine adjustments (group #2). I then clicked down two more clicks and fired two shots, which
landed close to each other, but this time the POI moved further down in relation to clicks than the previous 3 shots did at one click each.
I left it at that, with the two shots just below center, figuring I could hunt with that group.

Tonight I went to the cabin to do more shooting. Keep in mind target #2 above and the last two shots just below center where it was sighted last night.
First shot tonight went way low (circled on the target as 1). I didn't make any changes from the previous night and yet it shot that low. I then corrected
up two clicks and shot bullet #2. It went considerably high as seen on target #3. Then I went one click each and got the other results. I'm not very happy
at the moment.

That sure doesn't look good to me. If you know your rifle isn't doing that, then that scope needs to go back. You might want to shoot with it some more, but that first wild shot would make me very uncomfortable.

Back