AR Receivers - 6061-T6 vs 7071-T5 pro's & con's?

Chopaka81

I'm a newb to AR's. I've been researching the AR's and I'm left wondering where in the world do I start when it comes to picking a upper and lower.
One of the things I keep bumping into is billet based upper and lowers in 6061-T6 and 7071-T6 alloys. As the subject title states (or inquires) what are the pro's vs con's of two alloys? Is one preferred over the other?
Thanks for the bandwidth!

Ultimately, you won't break either. 7075 is stronger (and harder to machine) so more expensive, typically. Strength-wise you won't have any advantage over a standard forged cheapie upper and lower.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersUltimately, you won't break either. 7075 is stronger (and harder to machine) so more expensive, typically. Strength-wise you won't have any advantage over a standard forged cheapie upper and lower.

Actually I am working with my FFL to order a MEGA AR-15 7075-T6 Billet lower from your firm. We will be in touch with you shortly.
smile.gif

The higher the number the stronger the alloy. I believe that's the amount of compression PSI they manufacture the billet at. Higher compression, tighter molecules. You won't wear out either of them and I recall you can't anodize the 7071 in any color other than black, where as you can get the 6061 in just about any color you want. The common man won't know the difference.

Originally Posted By: Chopaka81Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersUltimately, you won't break either. 7075 is stronger (and harder to machine) so more expensive, typically. Strength-wise you won't have any advantage over a standard forged cheapie upper and lower.

Actually I am working with my FFL to order a MEGA AR-15 7075-T6 Billet lower from your firm. We will be in touch with you shortly.
smile.gif

Mega makes nice AR Receivers. You can follow this guide when ordering:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Ordering_a_Firearm_a/240.htm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chopaka81Well, that was easy. Thanks!

Thanks for the order! It looks like it has already shipped out today just a few hours after placing the order. However, it missed our daily pickup time so it should actually start making forward progress tomorrow evening. Your dealer should see the lower by Tuesday but it may show up on Monday.

Back