Anybody running an 18" 6x6.8?

I've been kicking around doing a 6x6.8 build for awhile now. I see a lot of guys are running a 22" barrel, but i want to do an 18". I'm planning on running 70 NBT'S for yotes. What kind of velocities are you getting without pushing the limits?

BTW, i already have a 20" 243 WSSM from Dtech.

I just got my 20 inch cut to 18 inches and had my tapper mount installed. I still need to put through it's paces while wait for my suppressor.

You should see 3100 FPS without pushing it. The accuracy has been great and the brass will last for ever at these pressures.

thumbup.gif

Since this issue has been brought up, I've been thinking of the same 18" 6x6.8. I have had great results with the 85gr Barnes TSX
from my 243 bolt gun. Has anyone tried this in the 6x6.8 and what was the outcome.
Thanks,
Bobby

Originally Posted By: Bruised Since this issue has been brought up, I've been thinking of the same 18" 6x6.8. I have had great results with the 85gr Barnes TSX
from my 243 bolt gun. Has anyone tried this in the 6x6.8 and what was the outcome.
Thanks,
Bobby

I tried working up loads for the 80gr TTSX this fall and had miserable results. I couldn't find a powder it liked. I did see some spectacular velocities, but I also found out how far was too far! These loads didn't show pressure signs like what I had seen with others either. Going forward I'll keep the Barnes bullets for my other rifles and use Berger, Hornady, or Nosler projectiles in my 6x6.8.

Mine is a 20" BHW, get 3154 fps over 29.8 gr of 8208 XBR with the 70 NBT.
Had a few with light ejector marks at 30.0 gr => 3165 fps, primers still good.

Originally Posted By: NV BillOriginally Posted By: Bruised Since this issue has been brought up, I've been thinking of the same 18" 6x6.8. I have had great results with the 85gr Barnes TSX
Thanks,
Bobby

I tried working up loads for the 80gr TTSX this fall and had miserable results. I couldn't find a powder it liked. I did see some spectacular velocities, but I also found out how far was too far! These loads didn't show pressure signs like what I had seen with others either. Going forward I'll keep the Barnes bullets for my other rifles and use Berger, Hornady, or Nosler projectiles in my 6x6.8.
I run the 80g GMX in front of 28g x8208, 3017 fps, .680 groups @ 100 yd.
The 85g barnes ttsx, same load, 2987 fps, .680-.790" groups @ 100yds
My bbl is 22" though and a bolt build.

Back