Skunk set - instant death?

270yotekiller

Would a cubby set with a 160-220 conibear trap kill a skunk fast enough to avoid spray? If not then what would be my best way (i do not want to trap them live and i dont want to have to shoot them in a foothold or snare due to houses, farmers, etc).

Thanks

Some spray and some don't in conis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif There are other ways but with all your don't wants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I'm thru typing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

During the off season I trap skunks in live traps,I have never had one spray yet.Most people can't believe you can walk up to a skunk in a live trap without them spraying.If you walk up slow with an old blanket or towel and place it over the cage,you can pick it up and carry it to your favorite water hole and about 3 minutes the skunk is dead and you can take it out and dispose of him.

Sometimes a 220 will kill em' without a spray, other times it won't. Nothing is a sure bet.

I would suggest live trapping it and tossing the cage in a pond for a little while. No stink that way.

ok so they DONT ever ever spray while in a live trap?? or is this just a guideline? if thats the case do you have any plans for building my own box traps? there have been a few cases in the past 2 years with rabid skunks and well its time for some ADC work but this is first time actually targeting the skunks. any help would be awesome to prevent spraying

I'd say that most times using 220 Coni's the skunk will be dead quickly and MOST times it won't spray....however, there are always those few times when one lets loose!

I have trapped dozens of skunks without ever getting sprayed but I use a trap designed for catching skunks and bait with marshmellows (so I don't get housecats).

It's a simple box trap made with sheet metal and a sliding door on the front. The bait is on a hook inside and when pulled it allows the front door to slide down and lock. I simply stick a garden hose in a 1" pre-drilled hole and fill with water for ahwile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Works awesome

Back