Bringing your dog while checking trail camera?

brusso89

I plan on going out to check and relocate my cameras next weekend. I have them up mainly for my deer hunt that's happening in December but any animal on them is great to me. The old lady wants me to bring out the bird dog with me to give him exercise and because he likes going everywhere. My main concern is scent. I know when I put up cameras I leave my scent everywhere but I don't pee where I leave them. If he pees on something close or in the area of me setting up how do you guys think that will effect things if at all?

I would not worry about it especially if you are not hunting till December... I would be more conscious of my own scent than the dogs... I would go straight in, touch as little as possible then get out...

Personally I wouldn't worry about scent for either one of you. The biggest thing I would worry about is if the dog tries to chase any deer if he spots them or smells them.

I have had me, bear, coyotes, fox, dogs, and other wildlife on my cameras within 30 minutes before deer pass. They share the woods and dont seem to be concerned about it.

A few years ago on the Iowa whitetail forum there was a thread about guys cutting a 3 inch sapling and planting it in a post hole vertical like a young tree in front of their trail cameras. They would pee on it and leave. This would start the deer scrape at that location and many animals came to check it out deer included. I worry about scent only when I am out hunting.

Last year, 2 days before rifle deer season, 3 buddies, my dog, and I tromped around my property, and put up a ladder stand.

Wasn't gonna hunt there till later in the season, but things changed.

The first hours of opening morning I had 4 does within FEET of the stand. Took a doe at first light, almost right underneath me. Shot at another while draggin her out, and tracked her for 2 -3 hours all around the area to no avail.

The next morning I shot a 170" buck, from the same stand, not 50 feet from the gutpile from the day before, almost right where the 4 wheeler was parked.

I'm not sayin they didn't smell us, but I don't think it mattered too much.

On the same note though, I've had them come upon the trail I walked in on, an turn around and bolt, so .......

No need tow worry about it. Can't mess it up any worse than the scent you're already giving off. Deer are a weird animal I have shot them right next to one that was dead I shot 20 minutes before. Shot one sniffing a coyote I shot an hour before. Had one show up on a game camera around 15 minutes after I set up the camera. Also if you are really worried about it plan getting the camera right before a rain.

So many crazy stories can be told about deer. I dont think that deer can tell the difference between a coon possum coyote or bird dog. I have wathed daddy kill them with his old custom made deer call. It is a metal folgers can with a hand full of corn in it with a plastic lid. Shake it and it sounds like corn hitting the metal legs on a feeder.

I have 4 feeders on my land for deer. Just about everyday I take my 4 wheeler, two blueticks and a walker on an exercise run right past all four. Many times I have checked the trail cameras and seen deer come out and eat within 15-20 minutes of the time we were there.
A few days ago I set out one of those feeder blocks that they are supposed to eat. Somebody gave it to me and so I just took it out to the woods to see if they liked it. I checked the camera yesterday to find a bunch of photos of deer acting very cautious around the block...none have even gotten close enough to try to taste the thing. They all wouldn't even pass by it to get to the feeder that has been there. The second day they did go to their regular feeder but kept looking back at the block. Finally one of them spooked and they all 5 bolted. Third day they still were giving it a lot of looks and on day four the biggest {probably oldest} doe actually was smelling at it.
After seeing this, I'd be more worried about placing one of thses feed type blocks anywhere near my stand close to the time I was going to hunt. I don't buy these things because I never really had any luck with them...now I see why.

Back