22 250AI brass trimming what is the shortest you can go?

varmit_master

I only have a Lee hand trimmer and I cut a little off well a hair to much. I got a few brass trim to 1.830 . Most is 1.900 I bought some once fired 22 250AI brass and they are 1.870 I have around 80 after I full length size them with my Redding dies. I was reading on a custom barrel maker he trim his to 1.802. What is to short this is my first AI rifle and if I can't get it shooting right. I am going to sell it my friends around me don't have a AI rifles only ya do. I was going to have my 243 and 280 but it I can't get this shooting right I will leave them alone. I need help bad I don't want to go so short and blow my gun and self up please help. I am ordering a Lyman unvercial 9 pilot trimmer with carbine cutter head to trim my brass right. Help me guys.

You can't really go to short you can be to long and crimp the brass on the bullet causing it to build up more pressure.
My advice is to get a Sinclair chamber length gauge for $5.99, it will tell you your actual max case length.
I have a few AI chambered rifles and after fire forming have never had a case that was too long they usually end up shorter after fire forming trim all to one length and usually never have to trim them again

Thanks I fire forum the ones I had load for a 22 250 and the bolt would close but a little hard. I trimmed one and it was like glass then. I was reading on one web site all about Ackley Improved he trimmed his custom rifle to 1.802 and Sierra book said 1.892.. I trimmed all my fire forum to 1.900 but I don't have a case trimmer and I trimmed a few to 1.850 I didn't know if it would hurt to uses them or throw them away. I bought a Lee hand trimmer cut a little of and cut to much off if I uses it it trims them down to 1.800. I am ordering me a Lyman Universal with carbine cutter and 9 pilots and order a pilot for my 204 ruger. And won't have to use the Lee anymore. I traded for all together 94 ct once fired 22 250AI brass all Win a few nickel brass. But I am not using them. I full length size them and tried them in my gun same thing justa llittle to long. I am just going to shoot the ones I fired forum for my gun. I didn't about getting to short .on length of brass. I have the Redding 3 die deluxe set 22 250AI . So Rich44 I am ok on length . I had to trim them a little to fit my gun and I thought I would trim them to what the book said. But I trimmed a few below what the book said. Then I fount the web page where the guy trim his to 1.802. And I thought that might be to short. I am new to a AI my first one. I wanted one to coyote hunt with back when I was young pup. I hope I get it line out thanks Rich44 I will take all the help I can get. My bullet I am going to try out of it starting out on coyotes 52 gr berger HP. And maybe varget or RL15 or win760.

I hope I got this gun working right . I fire forum my brass and neck size then ran them thru my gun little hard to close bolt. So I trim them and work back thru my gun work great. The only ones that didn't work right I traded for they was once fire 22 250AI Winchester brass.. I full length size one still won't work.

Originally Posted By: varmit_masterI only have a Lee hand trimmer and I cut a little off well a hair to much. I got a few brass trim to 1.830 . Most is 1.900 I bought some once fired 22 250AI brass and they are 1.870 I have around 80 after I full length size them with my Redding dies. I was reading on a custom barrel maker he trim his to 1.802. What is to short this is my first AI rifle and if I can't get it shooting right. I am going to sell it my friends around me don't have a AI rifles only ya do. I was going to have my 243 and 280 but it I can't get this shooting right I will leave them alone. I need help bad I don't want to go so short and blow my gun and self up please help. I am ordering a Lyman unvercial 9 pilot trimmer with carbine cutter head to trim my brass right. Help me guys.

You're focusing on the wrong things.

1) With these cartridges, don't use someone else's fireformed brass, period. Get rid of them and form your own with new brass, to your chamber. It's real easy.

2) Get a Sinclair chamber length plug and see how long your chamber really is. Unless yours is a particularly short custom chamber with an abnormally short neck, you'll find there's no need to trim cases. And with this cartridge there never should be. New brass necksize only to make them nice and round, no need for full length sizing. And fireforming, there should be some felt resistance on the bolt handle when chambering a round.

3) Just leave the brass full length and form it and it'll come out at whatever length it is. Don't trim and yes you can go too short. But no it won't blow the gun up. If this "custom barrel maker" you mention really does trim to 1.802" the guy's way off base. Unless he has a reamer with really weird spec's, that's entirely too short - stupid too short - gotta be a misprint.

Back