300 win mag load data...UPDATE....

skinin_bonz

I just ordered my first 300 Win Mag. It's the Savage 110 ba, topped it off with a Vortex Viper HS 6 - 24 X 50 mm. I have a whole bucket full of Sierra MatchKing 175 grain. I have a brother in law that works there and get them for me cheap I have shot them out of my 308 for a couple years with good results so that is the bullet I will be using. I'm going to ask for help from you long gun shooters. I hear H 1000 is the powder of choice but it would be easier around here to find a four leaf clover I want something that is temperature stable like the XBR 8208 I'm shooting out of my 308 but I think it is too fast burning for the 300. Does anyone have a good powder that is both accurate and reliable in temperature changes. any good advice about loading for this new rifle will be helpful, and appreciated. When it comes in Tuesday or Wednesday I will try to get some pictures posted everyone knows what they look like already but this one is mine and I'm still kind of proud.

Last edited:
I always use 77gr H1000 and 208 gr Amax bullets
but as always work your way up to any load
start around 70 gr and go up a gr a ta time
Id rather have accuracy than velocity any day

Originally Posted By: skinin_bonzI wish I could find some h 1000

One of my buddies bought 8 pounds last week for $165.

Somewheres in Kansas I think?

I know a guy that had HUGE success with Berger 215's and H1000. Over on Long range hunting dot com, if search the user name Broz, you'll get tons of information about 300 Win mag. Broz is a wealth of knowledge, especially with the 300 winnie.

Originally Posted By: SavageSSI always use 77gr H1000 and 208 gr Amax bullets
but as always work your way up to any load
start around 70 gr and go up a gr a ta time
Id rather have accuracy than velocity any day

+1 on H1000

H1000 it's just impossible to find around here one of the moderators just posted that a friend of his found some somewhere in Kansas if he has an address I've got a pickup truck and time

Last edited:
is XBR 8208 too fast burning powder for the 300? 175 grain bullets 26 inch 1 and 10 twist I've got a lot of it for my 3:08 had very good accuracy and temp stable

Last edited:
Back