Mentoring

crapshoot

I'm not much of a story teller so this will be short and to the point.
My cousins son started showing interest in calling coyotes a couple years back. My cousin, not being a coyote hunter, turned to me...for help or guidance, I'm not quite sure. Anyway, I have taken him (sometimes his dad and brothers too a couple of times) a handful of times. They've seen me call coyotes, kill coyotes, miss coyotes. He's called a few himself without me. Missed most of them and even caught a piece of a couple only to not recover them. But he has called, killed, and recovered a couple fox. Or what's left of them. He shoots a 243. At the end of last season I took him out for a good day of calling ( not killing). I killed a couple out of 7 or 8 called if I remember correctly and he got startled by a couple back dooring him relatively close. One stand had 3 coyotes come in. A double and a single. I let him do all the shooting. He caught a piece of one marginally. We tracked droplet to droplet for almost an hour never to recover it.
Fast forward to Sunday. I get a text from him asking if I was free Monday ( holiday) to go try calling. I said sure and to be at my place at 5 am. His dad asked if he could drop him off that night and have him sleep over. I said sure. 5 am came early. I had him load the truck while I cooked breakfast. The fist stand of the morning is one of the fist 2 stands he and I almost always start with. They are what we call 100% stands. Either one or the other and sometimes both almost always produce. The biggest drawback is elevations is nill and vegetation is thick (stand 1) or what little elevation you might find has no vegetation to break up your outline and the terrain below is again flat with thick vegetation(stand 2).
Stand one at first light, I put Alec on the shotgun. I figured his odds increase with the scattergun especially since he won't see anything till they are almost within range. About 3 minutes into some bunny blues on the ecall(brand withheld to prevent whining), I hear Alec mumble something. As I look to my left, I see the shotgun come up. I look out in front of him about 50-55 yrds and see a coyote trotting to a stop. I whisper to him "not yet" and half a second later the payload of #4 buck is already on it's way. I see the coyote crumple and hear Alec say "I got him". As soon as the words got out of his mouth, the coyote regained footing and was off to the races. I acquired the coyote in the Burris 536 as it flashes between bushes. I sent a round from my 223 ar15 sbr in a hurry hoping to connect but wasn't sure if I did. We called the stand and commenced the search. No blood, no tracks. All I could think was here we go again, another lost coyote. After about 10 minutes of searching and nairy ( is that a word?) a sign, I had pretty much given up. I spotted a jackrabbit and slung a couple rounds at it in disgust. Alec thinking I found a wounded coyote and was shooting at it, walked my way. As he got near he asked what I was shooting at? Just a jack I said. A slight grin came to his face as he said " there's it is"! There lay his coyote on the other side of the bushbushes I was standing near. Persistence pays off and the monkey is off his back. Its all down hill from here. Guess I've ruined another one.

So much for short and to the point eh.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Tip my hat to you...great job!

I try to take out new kids each season. Tonight I took a brother and sister out for the brothers first deer hunt on a crop damage farm. We did not see a deer but the boy had a great time when he wasn't arguing with his younger sister.
w00t.gif
He asked if I could take him again but leave his sister behind.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crapshootNow all I gotta do is keep his mind off the girls.

Lots of luck on that one!
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

the ONLY thing to explain is u fire the WRONG GUN around women and u wont have to worry about going hunting for critters or anything else as there wont be enough time.......youll only be hunting for $$$$$$$$$ & a job at that point should u have pulled the trigger at the wrong time........they either get or they dont.......FACT!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

Sounds like you are a pretty good story teller to me. Nice job. Its amazing how sometimes you can almost step on them before finding them.

Back