Gotta give one more try!

Mt. Shooter

Just can't wait any longer- I had quit trapping back about 20 years ago due to work and health problems but I've got to try at least 1 or 2 more years before I might go under. The only thing holding me back is I've given most of my traps to kids to get them started since I never thought I'd be able to do it again. I mostly ran Montgomery #3 dog-less and #1/3/4 Victors that were 4 coiled and fully modified. I was never a pro trapper but always caught my share of coyotes, cats and fox. I'm wondering if anyone has used the new victor step in traps and with the normal modifications do they make a good trap? I suppose I'll have to have a couple dozen 1 3/4 's too just for the nostalgia
smile.gif
I'd appreciate your thoughts from your experience on the new trap companies that have sprung up since they weren't around back in the day. I thought about the MB'S that are already set up but getting them ready is half the fun for me and I want to start out with good iron 1st.I'm not telling the finance minister just yet (since she's also the head of the war department) so I can pretty much go for the best choice before she balances her books. I'm not opposed to buying used traps either if the right ones show up.

Thanks for the info! I wish there was somewhere close where I could look and handle some of these never traps but that ain't possible. Do 4 coil yours and laminate the jaws or just use them straight up?

I'm very partial to the MB 650. I've used this leg hold for 13 years now. I bed them without a pan cover most often. If a cover is needed I wad up a sandwich baggie and put it underneath the pan rather than over it. I really like how "flat" they bed. I really like the trigger on the 650, reminds me of a finely tuned rem. trigger. Set it for the desired weight and once it's reached it breaks like a glass rod. No pre-movement. I bed them fairly deep and get a good hold high on the leg. Really a nice trap. I know there are plenty of other great traps out there but the 650 has served me well so I've just stuck with it. But on the other side of the coin I got friends that will throw rocks at the 650 and would rather use a new house. But in the area I'm in bedding a new house takes a lot of work. If you got real sandy soil the 650s may be to small of a bedding area for u.

Last edited:
The Montana Trappers Association Rendezvous is Sept 11/12 in Lewistown at the fairgrounds. You can get new and used traps plus you can put your hands on them to see what you like. You can get just about anything you might need for the up coming season plus its a blast.

In my opinion you cant buy a better trap than an MB. I run all 550's and absolutely love them. They do bed extremely flat. Though in my neck of the woods the 650's are just to big for foxes, especially the greys.

Back