The CZ 527 scope clearance issue.

CZ527

This has been bugging me for a long time.

I have probably read 25 times in various threads across the www about scope clearance being an issue with the bolt handle.

I've got 7 of these little rascals currently, all wearing 4.5-14x40 leupolds or similar in warne medium rings. The bell just barely clears the barrel with that setup. I think a 50 MIGHT clear.

My rant is mostly centered around the whole "gotta have high rings" or "call James and get that (hideous) bolt handle."

No need for this stuff, just buy those great little warne rings and rock and roll.

Hope this helps!

Nothing against Mr Calhoun!!! He's done a lot for sub-caliber advancement and he likes the CZ about as much as I do!

I have had the same thoughts. I approached it a bit differently, however. Mine wears a DIP Extended Picatinny rail with Burris Zee Low rings. I have had a 3-9x40 and a 4-12x40 Leupold Mark AR on there, now back to a 3-9x40...the bolt handle clears fine.

I do wish I had a larger and longer bolt handle, and this is something I may approach soon.

Last edited:
Not all med rings are created equally.

I run Warne med's on my 527 too.
As stated "they fit Leupold's perfectly" but they're higher than most manufacturers med rings.
More of a med/high IMO.

ETA,,,, Regardless of how different manufacturers size their rings,I do enjoy your enthusiasm for 527's and Leupold scopes.
You're not as dumb as I look.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePeteNot all med rings are created equally.

I run Warne med's on my 527 too.
As stated "they fit Leupold's perfectly" but they're higher than most manufacturers med rings.
More of a med/high IMO.

ETA,,,, Regardless of how different manufacturers size their rings,I do enjoy your enthusiasm for 527's and Leupold scopes.
You're not as dumb as I look.
wink.gif

Right; C-Z ringmount heights vary quite a bit by brand, even brands' year made (such as Burris; I have two sets of "mediums" that vary by .020".)
Remember, too: C-Z changed the angle of the bolt handle bend several years ago in response to scope eyepiece clearance gripes. Subtle when compared to old ones, but makes a big difference. Issues with clearance arose when owners wishing to improve cheek weld, or lower the scope for aesthetics, went to lower-height rings than what came with the 527 Americans. There never was an issue with mounting almost any scope if one was okay with the sky-high rings that came with the rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: liliysdadI have the old bolt handle....and its made out to be a MUCH larger issue than it really is.

Don't forget the safety being backwards also, that bothers a lot of people I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I've been real close to buying a 527 a few times but the bolt handle issue concerned me.

That's the whole reason I started the thread. Hope it helps!

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: liliysdadI have the old bolt handle....and its made out to be a MUCH larger issue than it really is.

Don't forget the safety being backwards also, that bothers a lot of people I suppose.

That one drives me crazy.
I'd never admit to the whole WWW that I was that easily confused.

The bolt handle and magazine were legit concerns (although overblown by some) but CZ addressed both issues.
No manufacturer can please everybody but at least they tried.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I've been real close to buying a 527 a few times but the bolt handle issue concerned me.

Old Calhoun took care of that years ago. My Nikons just barely clear using Burris rings. I have one of his single shot adapters that really works well.

Greg

I have never understood the mind block on high rings. I like to keep my cheek just barely touching the stock so as to not "steer" the stock with my cheek....

I seek out used Cz's, they are rare as stable democrats around these parts.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI have never understood the mind block on high rings. I like to keep my cheek just barely touching the stock so as to not "steer" the stock with my cheek....

I seek out used Cz's, they are rare as stable democrats around these parts.

I shoot pretty heads up so high rings are GTG for me. After shooting AR's with big scopes that have to be mounted high it is a natural deal for me.

Greg

I like to keep my glass as low as possible, whether it be a bolt gun or an AR. With the DIP rail and Burris lows, the objective is pretty damned close to the barrel, and it works out pretty well.

I have a CZ550 Varmint Kevlar with Millett rings and I don't hVe a problem, but is it the same bolt as on the 527's?

Also, just bought a barely used 3 months old (150 rounds) 527 Varmint thumbhole laminated stock. Should I be concerned of scope clearance as well? It comes with factory rings.

I think I got a good deal on it for $560.

Back