How short can I cut my barrel?

Coyotejunki

I won't go less than 16" for legal reasons.

But I have a 22" 20 Practical with the rifle length free float tube and gas tube. I am thinking of cutting and threading this BHW barrel for a suppressor. I am worried that if I cut it too short the gas system may not function correctly.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI won't go less than 16" for legal reasons.

But I have a 22" 20 Practical with the rifle length free float tube and gas tube. I am thinking of cutting and threading this BHW barrel for a suppressor. I am worried that if I cut it too short the gas system may not function correctly.

Good luck with that. A rifle gas will perform poorly when you get down to the 16" area. Even at 18" they can get marginal.

Remember if you start drilling that hole out that you will soon reach the point where you are over 50% of the bore diameter on a 20. That shortened dwell time will kill you on this one IMHO.

Greg

Yea, that is what worries me. Right now, I have an adjustable gas block on it and the screw for regulating the gas is almost closed, I was hoping for about 18" of barrel length. Maybe I better stick with it at 22". Free extra speed (fpm) with the longer barrel length.
smile.gif

I suppose I could sell it and just order a mid-length gas system and a shorter barrel, already threaded.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiYea, that is what worries me. Right now, I have an adjustable gas block on it and the screw for regulating the gas is almost closed, I was hoping for about 18" of barrel length. Maybe I better stick with it at 22". Free extra speed (fpm) with the longer barrel length.
smile.gif

I suppose I could sell it and just order a mid-length gas system and a shorter barrel, already threaded.

That might be best. It would come out close to the other work from a good smith. Not that there's a market for worn out 20 Practical barrels or anything.. LOL

Greg

If you cut it I would cut it behind my existing gas port and get a new gas port drilled to keep the right pressures. As mentioned before, I would worry about having enough dwell time if you cut it down and leave the rifle length gas port. Unless you want to run a boom stick that you have to charge after every shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AdamTIf you cut it I would cut it behind my existing gas port and get a new gas port drilled to keep the right pressures. As mentioned before, I would worry about having enough dwell time if you cut it down and leave the rifle length gas port. Unless you want to run a boom stick that you have to charge after every shot.

If I did that, would the barrel be shorter than 16"?

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: AdamTIf you cut it I would cut it behind my existing gas port and get a new gas port drilled to keep the right pressures. As mentioned before, I would worry about having enough dwell time if you cut it down and leave the rifle length gas port. Unless you want to run a boom stick that you have to charge after every shot.

Yes it would, plus you'd have profiling to do, and depending on the contour of the barrel you may not have the meat there to do it. Not to mention you'd probably have as much or more $$ tied up into the work as you would just buying a new and correct from the get go barrel and gas tube.

20" is probably as short as you can go and keep it reliable with and without the can on it. 18" should work fine with the can but it might be a bit finicky on the tuning, and will most likely give you issues when you don't have the can on it.

Honestly, best bet is to get a new barrel with a mid length gas system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: AdamTIf you cut it I would cut it behind my existing gas port and get a new gas port drilled to keep the right pressures. As mentioned before, I would worry about having enough dwell time if you cut it down and leave the rifle length gas port. Unless you want to run a boom stick that you have to charge after every shot.

Yes sorry. Got hung up on gas issues and forgot about length issue. I'd just do a barrel swap or build a new upper.

Back