Kids' first dove hunt

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Like many of you here, I've been taking my kids hunting since shortly after their births. All three are very interested in hunting and pretty much always want to tag along with dad on his hunts. My older two have both successfully hunted rabbits and whitetail deer, but until today hadn't tried swinging a shotgun on living targets. After limiting out this morning with a couple friends, I was free to spend the evening hunt focused on making the kids' first dove hunt a success.

20 years ago I would not have been able to believe that I'd have more fun watching and helping kids shoot than doing it myself. My, how times have changed.

My 12-year old daughter, 10-year old son, and I loaded up in the truck just after 4 o'clock and headed out to a dirt tank not far from home. I've shot a lot of doves over this little water hole in the past years, and had high hopes that it would continue to treat me right on this outing.

As you might expect when kids are involved, we got sidetracked on the way out. This time it was a jackrabbit that caught our attention. Unfortunately for him, the girl was ready to take the first shot of the afternoon.
Regan05Sep2015Jackrabbit-_zpsby8ytv7q.jpg

After rabbit show and tell, we proceeded to the dove pond. We parked the truck in the brush well away from the water, grabbed our gear, and hiked out. We set up a few stationary dove decoys along with the Mojo and settled into the shade of a large mesquite bush. I wasn't long before the birds started moving. With just one kid-sized shotgun, the kids had to trade off. The boy was up first and used his turn to take these two mourning doves.
ErikTwoDoves5Sep2015-_zpsrqxq6syb.jpg

Not to be completely outdone, the girl used her turn on the trigger to kill her first dove.
Regan05Sep2015FetchingDove-_zps36f1jjcn.jpg

Regan05Sep2015Dove1-_zpsh3jqhee3.jpg

By the time shooting hours had ended, several more doves had been downed.
ReganErik05Sep2015Doves1-_zpslbr0fkcb.jpg

I'm happy to report that the kids are hooked on wingshooting and I'm hooked on taking them! Down side? Yep, there is one. After all the fun they had with one shotgun, they're working on ol' dad to get a second so they can both stay in the action!

Second shotgun please, and make this one in Muddy Girl!
grin.gif

ReganErik05Sep2015Doves2-_zpstorxzrr1.jpg

Nah, that's why I have kids! They've been fetching birds for me for years. It's cool that now they get to fetch their own.

Great day afield w/the kids. As the sayin' goes, "Better to hunt with the kids than for them."

Regards,
hm

Thanks for the comments guys.

We sure had fun together for their first time out. It seemed like a good idea to follow up that performance with some one-on-one. On Monday night, the eldest girl had another commitment, so the boy and I headed out to the same pond to see how we could do on our own. The birds weren't moving quite as well as a couple days before, but we still had some good shooting and a great time together.

Loading up:
Erik07Sep2015DoveLoading-_zpsp1rxqrkl.jpg

Fetching the first dove:
Erik07Sep2015DoveFetching-_zpstfwrewso.jpg

By the time we picked up all of our stuff and made the hike out the truck, it was getting close to dark, so we just propped the camera on the tailgate to get our hero shot:
ErikTroy07Sep2015Doves-_zpsmsp6bcz5.jpg

My son often helps coach his younger sister's soccer team, so he was otherwise committed last night. Not so the eldest, so I met her at home after school, grabbed the shotguns and decoys, and headed out into the desert. The action was a little better than the previous night, offering more shot opportunities, which we tried to capitalize on.

All primed and ready, with attitude aplenty:
Regan08Sep2015DovePosed-_zpsqhxvdyuj.jpg

The results:
ReganTroy08Sep2015Doves-_zps9ghicc0t.jpg

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Your kids will remember these hunts the rest of their lives
thumbup1.gif

As will you; they grow up all too soon, but these memories last forever.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatDo you find your success to be different with/without your decoys?

This is the first year I've really used decoys much, and the first time I've had a Mojo. For the way I generally hunt doves, which is to set up in front of them on their way to water or feed (more or less pass shooting), I don't think the decoys make a huge difference. However, with the kids, I think they make a lot of difference because I can set them up right where I want the birds to come in for a drink. This allows the kids to focus on one pretty specific spot. This is especially true with the Mojo, which (at least this early in the season) draws them like a magnet. They circle, flutter, and generally goof around with the decoy, giving plenty of opportunity for the kids to get their shots. They're typically moving slower too, which is a big help for beginners. It also helps control where the kids are pointing their shotguns. With only one area to shoot, I don't worry as much about them waving the muzzle around trying to get on birds coming from various directions. It's easier to keep them focused and drill into them muzzle control. And, if I need to look away momentarily to actually kill one of my own, I can be pretty confident that they're keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction. And finally, by "letting" the kids have the decoy location, it gives them their own field of fire, so I can work on teaching them the importance of not getting in others' business when there are multiple hunters at one location. While not critical when it's just them and me, it will be important later or at other locations where hunters other than immediate family are present. Since we hunt mostly public land here, I think this is an important lesson for them.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Your kids will remember these hunts the rest of their lives
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

Indeed gentlemen. I can recall like it was yesterday the first bird I ever killed on the wing - a drake mallard that Dad and I jumped off the little irrigation ditch next to my parents' place. My dad and I still talk about that duck more than 30 years later. I can only hope that I'm building the same memories for my kids and me.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Your kids will remember these hunts the rest of their lives
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

Indeed gentlemen. I can recall like it was yesterday the first bird I ever killed on the wing - a drake mallard that Dad and I jumped off the little irrigation ditch next to my parents' place. My dad and I still talk about that duck more than 30 years later. I can only hope that I'm building the same memories for my kids and me.

My first kills where blue wing teal... Used my grandpa's 410... I remember my dad put an ice cream bucket out in the yard... I was small so I had to pinch the buttstock in my armpit and cant my head to look down the barrel... I peppered that ice cream bucket with one shot and it was deemed I was good to go... We went pond hopping... I remember my dad parked the truck and walked over to this mud hole, he peeked over the dam and then came running back... Got me out and loaded the gun... Snuck up and peaked over the dam... There was 4 and we got 3... I remember one had a broken wing and I ran around that hole sinking in the mud going after it... Later on another pond the recoil cut my cheek under my eye... Yep, one will always remember those times...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Your kids will remember these hunts the rest of their lives
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

My first kills where blue wing teal... Used my grandpa's 410... I remember my dad put an ice cream bucket out in the yard... I was small so I had to pinch the buttstock in my armpit and cant my head to look down the barrel... I peppered that ice cream bucket with one shot and it was deemed I was good to go... We went pond hopping... I remember my dad parked the truck and walked over to this mud hole, he peeked over the dam and then came running back... Got me out and loaded the gun... Snuck up and peaked over the dam... There was 4 and we got 3... I remember one had a broken wing and I ran around that hole sinking in the mud going after it... Later on another pond the recoil cut my cheek under my eye... Yep, one will always remember those times...

Guess we all remember that first bird like it was yesterday.

It was a cold, windy day and the ducks didn't want to fly. I had never fired anything bigger than a .22 rifle when my dad and I slipped up on a small pond that morning. A single Red Head Mallard bobbed on the waves about 25 yards away. Dad handed me his Remington double barrel 12 ga. I, too clamped the stock under my arm, lined up on the duck and fired. Funny, I don't remember the recoil at all, and I'm sure it was substantial as I was only 7 or 8 years old.

What I do remember is that we had a beagle mix who had never been hunting along for the ride and when we walked around to the downwind side of the pond to wait for the wind to blow the duck to shallow water, the dog smelled the duck, jumped into the cold water and retrieved it like a veteran.

That was over 70 years ago and I still smile when I recall that day.

I still cherish dad's old shotgun, which is one of the old Parker designs. Unfortunately we had to retire it once we determined the old barrels were Damascus steel.

Regards,
hm

Back