high performance AR-15 chamberings, the future?

I bought a G-2 light Hunter when they first came out the balance and feel is great it handels like a 15. Just wanting for the .243 option.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: steve garrettWhen you lighten up the barrels like dpms did I think you need an even more premium barrel to supply the desired accuracy.

So you think a heavier barrel will let you use a lesser grade barrel ? Why would anyone think that ?
rolleyes.gif

The bore is the same no matter how "fat" the barrel is...

YES I think a heavier barrel is more accurate, accuracy involves consistency. a heavier barrel helps with that. The military thinks it does as well. If not why tote a truck axle barreled bolt gun. a simple sporter weight rifle doesn't do the same thing. by the same standard why have anything ever more than a pencil barrel on an AR??

With that said I think a premium quality barrel helps make up for differences in conditions and other differences because its machining is more consistent. The lighter the barrel the better quality I want it. but then again I am a barrel snob anyways. I like to experiment with different barrels just to see how they shoot. All this said I don't advocate a varmint or bull barrel AR, my favorite would be the LTR, profile like black hole uses.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: steve garrettWhen you lighten up the barrels like dpms did I think you need an even more premium barrel to supply the desired accuracy.

So you think a heavier barrel will let you use a lesser grade barrel ? Why would anyone think that ?
rolleyes.gif

The bore is the same no matter how "fat" the barrel is...

YES I think a heavier barrel is more accurate, accuracy involves consistency. a heavier barrel helps with that. The military thinks it does as well. If not why tote a truck axle barreled bolt gun. a simple sporter weight rifle doesn't do the same thing. by the same standard why have anything ever more than a pencil barrel on an AR??

With that said I think a premium quality barrel helps make up for differences in conditions and other differences because its machining is more consistent. The lighter the barrel the better quality I want it. but then again I am a barrel snob anyways. I like to experiment with different barrels just to see how they shoot. All this said I don't advocate a varmint or bull barrel AR, my favorite would be the LTR, profile like black hole uses.

Heavy or skinny doesn't matter a rat's butt. I want top shelf accuracy. . There is no substitute for quality and no excuses for anything less.

Greg

Heavy makes a rifle easier to shoot, well because it's heavier. As far as quality the bore is still the same , because barrel stock is barrel stock... turn it to whatever contour you like.

Heavier barrels take longer to heat up, thus more shots before things change. A lite barrel takes less, but the bore is still the same.

When it comes to the kill shot,cold bore is important one and it don't matter what contour that is.

I'm glad there are a few that understand....

Back