Thoughts on Cooper Rifles

Dirt Nap

I'm looking to sell my Sendero 25-06 for a custom/semi custom rifle. Zero issues with the Sendero but I would love to have something where i get exactly what I want. I'm not looking for anything extravagant just a good stock (b&c, etc), and medium contour barrel that is fluted, and a few other small things. I'm looking at Cooper and I want to be $2500+\-. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what you are asking but I can tell you that I am happy with my coopers. I have been able to match or better the test target with each one. I have other guns but really do like how my coopers fit and feel in my hands. We are all built different and some people don't like fit at all. Good luck.

if you look around you will not have to spend that much. i have 3 coopers, all of which i bought used, one from a guy on this site. i have no regrets on any of them, they all shoot very well and are nicely put together rifles. if really nice wood is your thing, that can drive up the price some. but, check out gunbroker and you can probably find one used with great wood for under $2k.

Originally Posted By: DoogerWhy not work with what you got? Just upgrade it!

I think that's the route I'm going to go. I'm going to accurize the action, get a new barrel, and maybe a stock

Originally Posted By: Dirt NapOriginally Posted By: DoogerWhy not work with what you got? Just upgrade it!

I think that's the route I'm going to go. I'm going to accurize the action, get a new barrel, and maybe a stock

Good choice. You'll like it!

Originally Posted By: Dirt NapI'm going to accurize the action, get a new barrel, and maybe a stock

Accurizing the Remington action will put you close to the cost of a custom action, and you'll still have a Remington action.

Buy a barrel stock and trigger and get what u want and set it up how u want and the caliber u want and if u already have a donar action your already that much further ahead. And you'll probably 6-700 less than the cooper

I have several nice Rifles,not expensive but good enough to keep me happy and they perform very good and I work at keeping them accurate.....but 1 of these days I'd sure like to have 1 Cooper Rifle to call my own!
wink.gif

Last edited:
How do you figure, fw707? A BAT action is $1300 or so. A Stiller is $1000. He can have his 700 trued for $250 by a good smith and have money for an extra or two.

Now, if he was going to buy a brand new 700 action for $500 and then have it trued etc, he'd be getting close to $1000.

He's gonna need a new barrel, fitting, etc too if he's switching calibers or wants a custom. May as well add $700 for that. So he'd have a complete build for $1000 or so. If he wants a new stock, he'd still come out less than a Cooper and it'll shoot.

400 Action
250 Accurizing on receiver and bolt
90 Bolt knob
125 Side bolt release
100 Firing pin bushing
125 Extractor upgrade
75 Scope base

Comes to $1165 I think.
A Stiller has all that and runs about $930, and the base puts it to $1005 last time I looked.
You can include or leave out a couple of the features and still be "close" on the cost as I said.
If you're not going to include any of the useful features you might as well just screw the old barrel off the 700 and screw a new barrel on.

You said "accurize", not every bell and whistle. A side bolt release, extractor upgrade, bolt knob and such are not accurizing at all. He already has the action too.

You better hope the custom action is true too. Otherwise it's even more $$$ or a pain to have it trued by the maker.

P.S I just bought NIB Talley LW's for $30.

Originally Posted By: DoogerYou said "accurize", not every bell and whistle. A side bolt release, extractor upgrade, bolt knob and such are not accurizing at all. He already has the action too.

You better hope the custom action is true too. Otherwise it's even more $$$ or a pain to have it trued by the maker.

P.S I just bought NIB Talley LW's for $30.

Well then, you have it all figured out.
I'm sorry I bothered to suggest anything else.

Back