.223 Remington question

40 gr.V-max also w-27gr.h-335, hot load 4120fps, a wicked killer and not fur friendly on the exit, and it will exit, even on 1\4 plate steel.

Not hard to put holes in mild steel. The smaller and faster the easier it will burn through. Is kinda neat to see happen atleast once.

I like the 50 grain VMax best, probably because I use it the most. I also use the 55 grain VMax, 52 grain Speer HP, and have used a plain old 55 grain SP. Just about any of them work good enough.

60 grain VMax for our rifles. We also have had success with 60 grain Nosler Partitions when the situation called for it.

I've been shooting the 60gr Nosler ballistic tip varmint's with varget powder, no exit's thusfar and very fur friendly. Haven't had much incentive to switch to anything else. No chronograph so I couldnt provide the exact FPS, I do download slightly though accounting for the 5.56 brass I use.

My reasoning for the larger bullet is for the larger coyotes in my area, however it does seem the majority of people use faster, smaller bullets with good results. My gun didn't pattern great with the hornady 53's, but i'd like to do some more testing eventually. If I get to shoot two coyotes a year with my rifle, thats a good year. So I dont get to test the termal effects too often. The 60's i'm using now really transfer their energy great, either puts em DRT stonecold, or spins them in a 360 from the energy transfer and they make it a few steps before they run out of air.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiI've been shooting the 60gr Nosler ballistic tip varmint's with varget powder, no exit's thusfar and very fur friendly. Haven't had much incentive to switch to anything else. No chronograph so I couldnt provide the exact FPS, I do download slightly though accounting for the 5.56 brass I use.

My reasoning for the larger bullet is for the larger coyotes in my area, however it does seem the majority of people use faster, smaller bullets with good results. My gun didn't pattern great with the hornady 53's, but i'd like to do some more testing eventually. If I get to shoot two coyotes a year with my rifle, thats a good year. So I dont get to test the termal effects too often. The 60's i'm using now really transfer their energy great, either puts em DRT stonecold, or spins them in a 360 from the energy transfer and they make it a few steps before they run out of air.

The 60gr NBTs shoot better for me as well. I shoot them out of my sbr and they perform great even at the lower velocities.

Had really good luck on coyotes with 55gr nbt. Hits like a hammer and easy on hides. Going to try the 60gr vmax this year

Hornady 50 gr sx start them at 3200 fps. No exit on coyote under 200 yards,short bullet that will fit all mags, lead tip no splash,DRT,accurate out of wide range of barrel twists.

50gr VMax has been my go to for years, but I am slowly replacing them as I shoot them with 53gr Vmax...Both work great on coyotes and cats, but the 53 just flies better.

Back